5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

92 Mustang with some, well issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 PM
bagellord

Default 92 Mustang with some, well issues

Well, I had my grandfather's 92 convertable LX auto looked at. Not good. Electrical system is screwed over. Left side power windows do not function, no rear brake lights, needs some body work for the antenna and hood, new trunk lid and some body work around there to get rid of the rust, needs all the front lights changed out and new left blinker cover, radiator is leaking and more than likely needs replacement, and new front seats. I haven't had the suspension or the frame looked at, nor the brakes yet. Simply haven't had the time yet. Motor needs a few fixes, new spark plugs probably, need to clean the crap out of it, clean the throttle body out, new air filter (easy fix, ill get a k&n later), and some rubber hoses with dry rot need to be fixed. Well, where do I start? O, and it has 141K miles on it. Just remembered the transmission slips a little, and I believe I need a new battery. Keep getting a low range at idle, then it builds up and stays strong. Maybe the alternator, but I doubt it. Where on earth do I start getting this little car fixed up? It is sort of an important family, well, icon you could say. Grandparents had it for 16 years, and everyone in the family wants it. We got it because we are the closest to them. Where o where do I start trying to get this thing driveable?

BTW, the engine runs perfectly, and it will still fly when I put my foot down on it.

PS- might seem like I'm complaining or being demanding, not trying to be. Just stressed right now, and this is sort of a thing I am working on the side. I can't spend a whole lot money. If anyone has any ideas as to what needs to be fixed from my meager description, please don't hesitate to tell me. PM me for more details on any paticular thing if you would like. I am not too great with cars, but I know my way around. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have access to a shop (family business) that can help out with a lot.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 92 Mustang with some, well issues

Dude, does your grandfather own and operate a junkyard? Holy crap does that thing need work. Take it one thing at a time, maybe take the list you just made and prioritize it. Organization helps alot. Good luck
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 PM
bagellord

Hey, the powertrain, aside from the tranny slipping every once in a while and rough idle at startup is in great shape for 141K. Runs great when warmed up. Smokes my 08 Titan.

PS- my grandfather is a consultant for a moving company
Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

No I'm not tryin to rip on you or your grandfather, it just sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Again....good luck.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 AM
1992gt400hp
1st Gear Member

kinda sounds like mine... its been sitting under a tree for 6 years. i am gonna start from the front and work my way to the back, but it sounds like you need to get your wiring problems solved. may actually run a lil better if ya start there.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
bagellord

Yeah I need to get that done. I will just change out all the bulbs and everything, and get the brakelight circuit working again. I drove it earlier and I noticed some major slipping on the tranny from a start. I think the clutch is messed up (auto).

My plan is to start with the electrical system and windows, then the radiator, then the body work, then the transmission, then get a better sound system. This is all assuming the frame and suspension and axles are in good shape.