5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

getting a bit of smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Default getting a bit of smoke?

I am getting a small amount of smoke out of one of the tailpipes the drivers bank. I have no crossover in my exhaust so its that bank for sure. There is not distinct blue tint or black tint its just white/grey, previously I scanned my codes and got drivers bank running lean could that cause this?? My car seems to be running off as well when you feel the drivers pipe its not as smooth at the pass. Does anyone have any input they would like to share??
Old 05-13-2008, 01:58 PM
grumpyphillips
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: getting a bit of smoke?

Is your temp raising when you see the smoke? Blown head gasket?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

I dont think I'm getting enough smoke for that to be it. The exhaust smells a tad rich to be honest. I am also getting 9mpg stock so I don't think I am truly running lean its pissing through the gas but there is no black smoke.

When the smoke comes its in puff its not idleing say da, da, da, da, its going more like da da puf dada if that makes any sense haha
Old 05-13-2008, 02:09 PM
grumpyphillips
2nd Gear Member

What kind of shape are your O2 sensors in? Have you SeaFormed your car yet?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:12 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

I don't know what the o2s are like I'm still a bit confused about how to test them. I have not seafoamed it.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

The smoke is probably excess fuel, like the last post said look at the OS sensor on that bank. If the comp is reading lean condition it will try to compensate. To check it you have to use a multimeter at operating temp to see what the voltage is. Steps and exact details should be in the chilton\haynes manual. If you are getting 9 MPG then it might be wise to go ahead and invest the $40 bucks each and replace them both.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brentloftis

The smoke is probably excess fuel, like the last post said look at the OS sensor on that bank. If the comp is reading lean condition it will try to compensate. To check it you have to use a multimeter at operating temp to see what the voltage is. Steps and exact details should be in the chilton\haynes manual. If you are getting 9 MPG then it might be wise to go ahead and invest the $40 bucks each and replace them both.
I think I might buy one for now since im on a tight budget. I can't think of anything else that would give me really bad milage. I feel there is a power loss aswell she doesn't even want to chirp 2nd. I hear a strange sound say im in 1st and rev to 3grand and shift to 2nd I hear a wooshing type sound like air moving I don't know if this is my fan or what It only seems to do this then and if im driving in 1st and let off.
The other weird noise is a puffing in the exhaust that I dont know what it is
Old 05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

ttt
Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

I just took it for a ride and kept the radio and vents off and had a good listen. There is a quite loud sucking sound I can hear I am not sure if it is in the engine bay or the exhaust does anyone have any input in that regard maybe air filter?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

My car makes the "air rushing" sound too, but I have a complete intake setup (tb, maf, etc..)

I believe my 5.0 is doing exactly what yours is doing. Smoking out of one side, and running like crap.

I scanned it, found like 6 codes. One of which indicated that drivers side LEAN. Also got an EGR not detected but I was told the ECU will "by-pass" this.

If I baby it, it runs good. If I beat on it, the CEL comes on and scanner says LEAN 02 sensors lol.

Ive already got new 02 sensors on my o/r pipe which I just need to put on soon.

Quick Reply: getting a bit of smoke?