5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

more power from a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: more power from a rebuild

ORIGINAL: joe_5.0

okay sorry for the jumbled list.im thinkin of rebuilding my engine andswitchin to a carburated setup so that i can rip the emissions stuff out without worrying about screwing with the ecu.what i need to know is:
1.can my stock aod transhandle 300-350 horsepower? Yes. also, how much torque can it handle? Don't know exactly
2.can i use my stock fuel pump and lines from a fuel injected 5.0with a carburater? No. Way too much pressure.i know that carbs use lower psi fuel pumps but couldnt i solve that with a return line?also i want to know if the stock pump can work with a fuel cell? Don't know.
3.the rebuild kit im lookin at would be probably be using a set of stock diameter flat top pistons and a hydraulic cam probably with a stock grind Get a better cam if you want the power you are striving for.i could also getthe pistons in a.30 over diameter.it's called a budget rebuild kit in my doug herbert catalogue.would this kit up my power at all. Very little if at all. Boring .30 over will help unshroud the valves a bit and help with breathing. I would go with a stroker if you were going to have it machined.
4.would it be worth it to get a crankshaft that was lighter than my stock crank but had all the same diameters? Stock crank will work with your power goals. Spend the money on better heads.
5.i want to get some gt-40p cylinder headswith some 1.6 or 1.7 rockers,bbk shorty headers and an edelbrock performer rpm 4 barrel intake.then use a 650 750 carb.would this be any good as far as performance? Might be too big on the carb selection. I would say a 600 cfm tops. A carb guy would know better.
6.im elimanating the computer and fuel injection so that i can rip off every peice of smog/emmisions crap from my engine and i dont have any clue how to get rid of the emissionsstuff without messin with the computer.???

im gonna hook some msd igniton on it too.will that engine be any better than my stock 89 5.0 i also wanna know if there would be any problems from hollowing out the catlytic converters in my exhaust?can any of you estimate the power id produce with a build like this? In my opinion, you should be doing between 260-270 RWHP based on a carbed 306 with your mods.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 AM
sYckmYnded
I ♥ Acer

ok for 1 there is not reason to go carb from efi, the efi is gonna make more power in your situation,
2 rebuilding a motor will always "wake it up" a lil bit
3 the stock crank is more then perfect for you since your not stroking
4 the aod sucks go to the junk yard and pick up a decent looking C-4 and rebuild it for $200 use a nice shift kit
5 removeing the smog pump will do nothing to you computer, also remove your ac pump and put a short belt on it
6 **** the cats pull them off, if you cant then take a peice of pipe and hammer it down into the cat, makes it flow through but looks like the cat is there.
7 make sure you get a msd 6a box and your stock dist. is fine just use a msd cap rotor and wire set with a new blaster coil.
8 3:73 is perfect and the 8.8 rear will do you wonders

Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

first thing i would do is send the block to get dipped and magnefluxed to make sure its ok for a rebuild.

you are probably gunna need the thirty over pistons because the cylinders will probably need to be bored due to scoring and abuse and what not.

ditch the performer intake and get the eddie rpm air gap much better and very very streetable.

you cant use the stock fuel pump its pushes way to much fuel my holy red only has 9psi max and is good for over 500hp car.
get a tank out of a carbed 5.0 from the junk yard and use that you wont have to get a new pick up or sending unit. run all new lines just to make it easier on yourself and lines are very easy to run. even though its carbed you still use a return line. get the holley blue or black they come with fpr and are good for over 500hp and still perfect for a stock replacement.

your stock crank is perfectly fine for what you want to do.

the 8.8 will stand what you want to make and much much more just throw a set of gears in there and if you have never done it dont do it yourself. take it somewhere and have then do it for you. there are a lot of specialty tools and you have to be very persice with everything or it will growl at you the first time you drive

get the gt40's not the p's unless you want to spend even more money on special headers for them. i would just spring for some aluminum heads.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

you dont want to go cast crank for anything most of the time. the power you want i would go with a cheaper forged steel crank if you want but the stock one is perfectly fine for what you want no need to waste money. as for carb all you need is a 600cfm vacuum secondary holley you will be set
Old 05-14-2008, 02:54 PM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

ok where is the smog pump located on my car and how do i go about ripping all of that out?does anyone have a link to some instructions or pictures i could see?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

your smog pump is right below your alternator its on the same bracket.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

do i just block off all the lines coming off of it?