5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

302 Aluminum Heads Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 AM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 302 Aluminum Heads Please Help

ORIGINAL: imnotmy77stang

i guess it pays to be a machinist and have friends with machine shops[8D]

seriously, like i dont ever think about these things like they could ever present a problem. last week or so i needed to do a vavle job on a 1.3 L SOHC suzuki so i just brought it over to my buddys and gave him a 350 4 bolt main core i had in the garage in exchange for him letting me use his equip [8D]
sounds like you got off the hard way. you could have sold that block for an easy 500 bucks. thumper heads appear to be a nice sleeper mod. makes me wonder what can they do with other heads if anything...
Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 AM
imnotmy77stang
2nd Gear Member

dude i dunno where you live and can get 500 bucks for a 4 bolt 350 core, but around here they are easily found and if they are std. bore they are worth about 100 to someone who needs one and 50 to someone who doesnt really need an extra one.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 PM
mxrider426
1st Gear Member

Well if i fully port a set of GT40P's how much of a power increase can i expect?Would a 1.94 intake valve help?
Old 05-24-2008, 09:10 AM
imnotmy77stang
2nd Gear Member

hard to say an exact number of gains but there WILL be gains. tristatecylinderheads.com has GT40P's with big valve and stiff springs ready to bolt on for cheaper than you can buy a set of junkyard heads and then do the work and buy the parts.

but if you are going the other route, putting a 1.54 exhaust in the head would be a better investment than putting a 1.94 intake in it.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:55 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys is it me, or did everyone miss the bus on this?. On his second post, he asked if the GT40s will work with his 331?.mxrider426, I'm not trying to bust your chops, nor am I an expert, but that E cam will suck if you are running it in a 331. The 331 requires some type of aftermarket heads, and a much better cam than the E cam. You could probably get by with some GT40s, if they professionally ported, but you need to look at a dual pattern cam, better yet a custom cam for your stroker. I learned the hard (see expensive) way. I did find a brand new pair of Twisted Wedge heads, with new screw instuds, and new FRPP roller rockers on the Corral Classifieds for $1260 shipped to my door, but since then, I sold my F cam and went with a custom cam, had to scrap the TW springs and retainers for some Comp Cam pieces that better match my cam ($550 for custom cam, new springs, spring seats, retainers and keepers). I would at least look into a Comp Cam dual pattern cam, along with some TW heads, or AFRs. I know it's a lot of money, but you will be much happier with the results.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I love how everyone jumps on bandwagons around here.... I have patriot heads and have been very, very happy with them. The first sets of heads for the 5.0 were on the low quality side. I don't think this has anything to do with thecontinued quality of the heads. All new products go through a period of adjustment until bugs are worked out. Patriot spoke with me freely when I called andasked them about the posts I was reading concerning quality. I did a lot of research on these heads before I got them. One thing I noticed was almost every post I read about the "nasty" patriot heads started with "my friend..." " I heard..." "I read..." I looked for days before I found anything that was first-hand knowledge. I have no regrets with my purchase.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:20 PM
VASSAGO
Banned

acculy i looked this up and your wrong gt-40 DID come on explorer v8's till mid 97 then they were gt-40p p=performer not production, they had a new spark plug angle for more compression, and so upgraded valve train,
Old 05-25-2008, 07:35 AM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VASSAGO

acculy i looked this up and your wrong gt-40 DID come on explorer v8's till mid 97 then they were gt-40p p=performer not production, they had a new spark plug angle for more compression, and so upgraded valve train,
+1 on the Explorer coming with GT40 heads, before the introduction of the P-heads in 97
Old 05-25-2008, 08:51 AM
imnotmy77stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

I love how everyone jumps on bandwagons around here.... I have patriot heads and have been very, very happy with them. The first sets of heads for the 5.0 were on the low quality side. I don't think this has anything to do with thecontinued quality of the heads. All new products go through a period of adjustment until bugs are worked out. Patriot spoke with me freely when I called andasked them about the posts I was reading concerning quality. I did a lot of research on these heads before I got them. One thing I noticed was almost every post I read about the "nasty" patriot heads started with "my friend..." " I heard..." "I read..." I looked for days before I found anything that was first-hand knowledge. I have no regrets with my purchase.
glad to hear your still happy with your heads. also your sig still rocks
Old 05-25-2008, 09:57 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

Agreed. The Patriots are a very nice head for someone that wants to get into a aluminum head but can't afford the prices of a higher end aftermarket set. They are a great affordable option besides just porting your stock stuff. The problem is, people like to compare them to heads that are almost double the price tag, of course your going to get more for your money when going with higher end stuff. For the regular enthusiast, looking for a bump in power and save some money at the save time, Patriots are a fine way to go.

If I had the option, I'd personally take the Aluminum Patriot heads over a set of worked Iron GT40's.

Quick Reply: 302 Aluminum Heads Please Help