5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil Pressure drops drastically WOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Pressure drops drastically WOT

You would know if you had a cracked block I would think.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

it's possible you may have blown out an oil galley plug under the timing cover and if you seafoamed the crank case.. why in the F you'd ever do that heaven only knows cause all that tarnish and crap it loosens up could be plugging up the pick up screen...had a jeep cherokee that'd do that= had top pull motor and put a new one in eventually[:@] bearings may have excessive clearance too..perform a mech test and go from there
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

that fl1a filter is a pretty decent size... big around as a 820s, but longer.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 PM
my little red 90
2nd Gear Member

listen to silver91gt. put a good mechanical pressure gauge in place of the stock sender and gauge. quick, cheap and positive info. don't borrow trouble till you eliminate the easy stuff first.

i had a similar problem, but a pressurenew gauge showed that it was a faulty sender or goofy electrical OEM gauge.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Fistuv

I always like to use Amsoil Engine Flush. It dissolves the gunk inside rather than just breaking it lose and clogging stuff up like Seafoam. I do like using Seafoam on my fourwheeler after I sink it to get all the water out of the motor.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you suck the pan dry because of poor oil return, then that's an oil return problem, not a pump problem. Some HV pumps are also HP, and can force more volume past the restrictors in the lifters and move extra oil to the top end which can lead to uncovering the pickup. For reference though, I'm running a high volume Melling in my 302 with a stock volume baffled Canton 5qt + windage tray, and don't have a single oil control issue whatsoever, but I also have good oil return.

As far as the OP's issue, definately check with a good gauge, stock gauges can be way off. If you are having actual pressure drop past 3,000rpm then there's a couple possible causes. The pump could be worn out and isn't able to meet volume damand at higher rpm, the clearances in the engine could be bigger as well, and as centripetal force increases with rpm it throws oil out from the rod bearings faster than the pump can replace it. Like mjr said, you could have an oil gallery plug that popped out, but if that were the case I'd think that pressure would be low across the entire rpm range. First find out if you really do have a pressure problem.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for your responses...

I'll go get a mechanical gauge tomorrow and give it hell

As far as seafoam, i've read a lot of stuff on it in this forum over the years and i don't recall ever reading stuff about it dropping varnish into pan and causing it to plug suction.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Fistuv

It really all depends on how dirty the motor was when u cleaned it. If the previous owner didn't take care of the car it makes for more gums , varnishes , Oxidation deposits and sludge build up. When you flush a motor its always best to put a new filter on then run the flush then change the filter again when u change the oil.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

That's what good oil and proper change intervals are for.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 AM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

I do both of those things.

Reasoni don't think that i have varnishes built up at suction, last resort will be to check that.

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

That's what good oil and proper change intervals are for.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure drops drastically WOT