5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil Pressure drops drastically WOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Pressure drops drastically WOT

Noticed this morning during acceleration over 3000 RPM my oil pressure drops all the way to just above L (low) then i let off and it comes back up.

High volume oil pump 10K miles on it
7Quart Oil Pan
10W30 Castrol Syntec
Stock Gauges
500 miles since last oil change
previous to last oil change seafoamed crankcase and was using non syn oil
no pressure drop till today that i noticed
Oil level is good

my only thought is maybe my oil filter is plugged since i did the seafoam and then changed to a synthetic oil that could possibly be picking up more material and leaving it in filter. I will be changing filter during lunch to see if that helps.

Please let me know your thoughts on what could be causing this drop, i did search, which doesn't seem to be working very well (slowwww......) and came up with nothing.

thank you

Matt K.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 AM
TrAb
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Pressure drops drastically WOT

Weird oil'ing problems are usually the exact oposite of this one...
If you're running a high volume oil pump with a stock pan, it's possible to empty the pan at high rpms without enough oil reserve in the pan, leaving the oil pumped at the top of the engine....
Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 AM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

I do have the 7qt oil pan and have never had this problem before. so i don't believe that is the issue
Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

My last oil change i also changed to Mobil 1 filter. everythign i've read is good, is it possible that i got the wrong filter?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

FL-1A is the motorcraft filter
Old 05-21-2008, 11:43 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

HV oil pumps won't suck the pan dry at high rpm unless they're a high pressure pump as well(and even then it's unlikely). Regardless though, the throttle position should have absolutely nothing to do with oil pressure, it's entirely rpm related.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

Yes, it's RPM related, but only over 3-3500 RPM, i was just trying make title shorter
Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

is FL1A the shorter filter,I have a 94 Cobra which i believeeither came with anoil cooler or sombody added it to mine before i purchased.

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

FL-1A is the motorcraft filter
Old 05-21-2008, 04:10 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

HV oil pumps won't suck the pan dry at high rpm unless they're a high pressure pump as well(and even then it's unlikely). Regardless though, the throttle position should have absolutely nothing to do with oil pressure, it's entirely rpm related.
There have been instances where the high volume oil pumps will suck the oilpan dry because the oil can't drain down fast enough to get to the pickup.
high pressure pumps will put out more pressure, but less volume, remember that pressure is just a measurement of restriction.

oil pressure drop on acceleration will usually be a thrust bearing failure, or a cracked block.
but since you are using the stock oil pressure gauge, I blame the gauge sending unit.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

would a cracked block be showing any indication from the outside or are you talking about an internal crack?

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

There have been instances where the high volume oil pumps will suck the oilpan dry because the oil can't drain down fast enough to get to the pickup.
high pressure pumps will put out more pressure, but less volume, remember that pressure is just a measurement of restriction.

oil pressure drop on acceleration will usually be a thrust bearing failure, or a cracked block.
but since you are using the stock oil pressure gauge, I blame the gauge sending unit.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure drops drastically WOT