5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

anti lock light?

Old 05-24-2008, 07:26 PM
v8 all the way!
1st Gear Member

Default anti lock light?

Okay so i have a 94 mustang gt and, i just got some new wheels. 18/10 in the rear and 17/9 in the front. BEFORE i had 17/9 all the way around the car. When i got my new wheels the "anti lock" light came on. I believe this isbecause the are staggered now but could anybody tell my why this light came on. Also can you tell me what i can do to fix it and is doing nothing to this light going to hurt anything on my car?

Before new wheels 4 17/9s.

With new wheels 2 18/10s and 2 17/9s

Old 05-24-2008, 07:52 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: anti lock light?

Chances are that the diameter of the tire/wheel combination isnt the same in the front and rear. This will cause the sensors to read different speed values and cause the ABS fault code. Im not sure how Ford sets there ABS systems up but you may be able to cut the sensor wires at each sensor. There will probobly be 2 wires. Connect the 2 wires together to try and trick the computer into thinking you are always going zero mph. Of course you wont have ABS by doing this but chances are the system disables itself when the ABS light fault is triggered anyway, so your not going to lose anything.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: turt

Chances are that the diameter of the tire/wheel combination isnt the same in the front and rear. This will cause the sensors to read different speed values and cause the ABS fault code. Im not sure how Ford sets there ABS systems up but you may be able to cut the sensor wires at each sensor. There will probobly be 2 wires. Connect the 2 wires together to try and trick the computer into thinking you are always going zero mph. Of course you wont have ABS by doing this but chances are the system disables itself when the ABS light fault is triggered anyway, so your not going to lose anything.
not gonna happen^^^^^^^no such thing as trick it... if it sees vehicle speed in the front and not rear it'll still turn the light on and even if you try and bypass that the vss indicates to the ecm mph also so only way to correct problem is put the correct diameter wheels all the way around...most abs sensors if it's a 2 wire set up work off of a ac signal that is generated by the reluctor ring passing the magnetic type sensor..so twisting the wires together would only cause a different code to set
Old 05-24-2008, 08:14 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

heh.... yea, Ive never tried anything like that but I ment to do it to all 4 wheels. Sorry Im not to clear. Your probobly right about the other code thing but you can avoid that by leaving the sensors attatched but away from the reluctor. As for the VSS Im not sure what info the ABS module uses for its stratagy. Im a GM tech so I only have that kinda info for GM's. Chances are your right, but Id give it a try to be sure.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: turt

heh.... yea, Ive never tried anything like that but I ment to do it to all 4 wheels. Sorry Im not to clear. Your probobly right about the other code thing but you can avoid that by leaving the sensors attatched but away from the reluctor. As for the VSS Im not sure what info the ABS module uses for its stratagy. Im a GM tech so I only have that kinda info for GM's. Chances are your right, but Id give it a try to be sure.
yeah you can try it but the prob with the fords are that with the abs sensors unplugged it'll still log an open circuit code and if it was annoying the light in the dash..best thing to do would be unplug module or pull light bulb out of dash cluster.....one obd II cars on a BUS system vss would be figured into strategy as well as abs sensor reading but on the ford eec iv i'M NOT 100 PERCENT SURE IT IS,?? just threw the possibility out there.... most likely not, as it's not that complicated of a system
Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 PM
v8 all the way!
1st Gear Member

okay so it sounds stupid but i went to discount and got some 255/40/17s for the front and it no longer trips the light. i had 245/45/17s before this and it would trip. It doesnt do this now so would this have been enough to trip the sensors. 10mm?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

as long as the rotational distance is similair compared to the rear it'll work and yes the difference previously was probably enough..it's hard to tell the exact mph diff on the front vs the rear..you'd have to of had a scan tool hooked up and hope there was a pid to read data for each wheel speed to verify it all