5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Strut & Caster Camber plates won't fit???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Default Strut & Caster Camber plates won't fit???

Here's the story...

I mounted new Mac C/C plates.
Put new KYB struts in.
The top threaded rod that goes through the C/C plate was too short to get the nut on.
Called Mac and explained... they said the dust boot can't be used with their plates.
I saidwithout the dust boot, the chrome rod will get dirt on it and destroy the strut seal.
Mac said they tell people all the time that it's OK to take the boot off and have never had complaints about strut seal failure.
I saw some UPR C/C plates on ebay and thought maybe they would work with the dust boot.
So I called UPR and asked the same questions and they told me the same thing as Mac. (not to use the boot)
So I called KYB and explained the situation.
They said the boot MUST be used or the seal will fail and that KYB struts aren't meant to be used with C/C plates because the top threaded rod is shorter than stock.
I compared the KYB strut to a stock strut and sure enough, the rod is shorter.

Now, here is my question...

Does anyone have KYB gas adjust front struts (with the dust boot still on) and found a caster camber plate that will work with the short top threaded rod?

This is pissing me off and I feel like I'm getting the run around from Mac, UPR and KYB. Someone please chime in and let me know what plates will work for me. I can't return the KYB struts (too much time has passedand they've already been installed) so I NEED to find a set of C/C plates that will work with my KYB's soon.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Strut & Caster Camber plates won't fit???

that may be tough to find as most caster camber plates don't allow the use of dust boot....mac and upr are correct...as for kyb.... of course they'd say that..any strut manufactorer would say that...I keep my lakewoods clean and have coilovers and for 2 years no dust boot, no leaks and or probs....there are loads of cars out there whose dust boots fell off like my wifes camry with 167000 and still going strong andd we live on a gravel road = very dusty and no leaks yet....but I haven't ever seen what your asking for availible
Old 05-24-2008, 08:53 PM
my little red 90
2nd Gear Member

if your worried about it, put in some shorter springs.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my little red 90

if your worried about it, put in some shorter springs.
The car already has Vogtland lowering springs in it... that's why I need the C/C plates. Besides, the spring height doesn't change anything when it comes to how the strut mounts into the C/C plate.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:15 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

that may be tough to find as most caster camber plates don't allow the use of dust boot....mac and upr are correct...as for kyb.... of course they'd say that..any strut manufactorer would say that...I keep my lakewoods clean and have coilovers and for 2 years no dust boot, no leaks and or probs....there are loads of cars out there whose dust boots fell off like my wifes camry with 167000 and still going strong andd we live on a gravel road = very dusty and no leaks yet....but I haven't ever seen what your asking for availible
You make some good points, but even if the seal doesn't wear out after running it without a dust boot, the boot has a bump stop built into it. My KYB's don't have internal bump stops and without the boot (and bump stop) if I hit a deep pot hole and bottom out the suspension, it could drive the rod down into the strut cylinder and damage it. This is quite a dilema I have and I hope someone has a solution for me... I'm stuck with my KYB's, need C/C platesand a dust boot with a bump stop.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: capri debris

ORIGINAL: mjr46

You make some good points, but even if the seal doesn't wear out after running it without a dust boot, the boot has a bump stop built into it. My KYB's don't have internal bump stops and without the boot (and bump stop) if I hit a deep pot hole and bottom out the suspension, it could drive the rod down into the strut cylinder and damage it. This is quite a dilema I have and I hope someone has a solution for me... I'm stuck with my KYB's, need C/C platesand a dust boot with a bump stop.
If this is the one you've done all up...I'd hate to see it hit a pot hole too!!..that's gonna be a tough one in a sense I share your dilema a little.. I just drive slow down rough roads and try to avoid any bad patches of road.. I know that's not the answer your looking for but sometimes that's what happens in the 5.0 world [:@]
Old 05-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Are you referring to KYB GR2 struts? Im using GR2 struts up frontwith steeda aluminum C/C plates and it was a breeze getting it installed. I didnt use the dust boot that is on top of the strut tower. I had no problems getting all the proper hardware on either.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:07 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

If you ae worried about the bump stop, take it out of the dust boot and put it on the strut. When I put my coil overs on, I used my stock CC plates(had to modify them) I didn't install the dust boots, but I took the bump stop out and put that on.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:39 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I have KYB struts with Hotckis c/c plates. Hotchkis includes everything you need including bushings and boots. Its very high quality and is much thicker than BBK or Mac. You will be very happy with it, check into hotchkis.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...p;CatKey=74-01
Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Its has the urethane bushings with it as well

Quick Reply: Strut & Caster Camber plates won't fit???