5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hey notch nitrous guys I need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Default Hey notch nitrous guys I need your help!!!

Alright So I have my nitrous all wired in and ready to go just mounting the bottle up and almost started drilling holes but talked to mike *MJR* and he was telling me to mount my bottle with the nozzle towards the front which is ok but I need to know how you notch guys mounted the tank for you could get the bottle out since it is very tight to fit in! Haha thanks in advance!!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Hey notch nitrous guys I need your help!!!

oops forgot you had a notch!!.....you can mount them sideways you just have to turn the bottle...or you could remove spare tire and set it in the well
[ol][*]2.2 Bottle Orientation [/ol]
Bottle placement is critical to the performance of your NOS nitrous system. It is important to understand how the bottle valve and siphon tube are assembled to properly orient the bottle in your vehicle and ensure that it picks up liquid nitrous while undergoing acceleration. All NOS nitrous bottles are assembled so that the bottom of the siphon tube is at the bottom of the bottle and opposite the bottle label (Figure 2).
Whenever the bottle is mounted in a lay-down position, the valve handle must be towards the front of the vehicle with the label facing up (Figure 3A).
If the bottle is mounted vertically, the valve handle and label must face toward the front of the vehicle (Figure 3B). This orientation will position the siphon tube at the back of the bottle where the liquid N2O will be during acceleration.

WARNING! DO NOT attempt to remove the siphon tube without completely emptying the bottle of all nitrous and pressure. Failure to completely empty the bottle will result in an explosive condition causing injury or death.
A bottle mounted upside-down must have the siphon tube removed before use (Figure 3C). Non-siphon bottles can be specially ordered from NOS.
If the bottle must be mounted parallel to the axles of the vehicle (sideways), the valve handle and label must be angled at approximately 45° toward the front of the vehicle (Figure 3D). This orientation will position the siphon tube toward the rear of the bottle.
NOTE:
When using a bottle with a siphon tube, the tall bracket should be at the valve end of the bottle and the short bracket at the bottom (Figure 3E).
The most efficient mounting is the lay-down position (Figure 3A) with the valve handle toward the front of the vehicle. This position allows the greatest amount of liquid to be used before the siphon tube begins to pick up gaseous nitrous oxide.
[ol]

[*]2.3 Bottle Installation
[/ol]
After you have determined the location and orientation of the nitrous bottle, use the following procedure to install the bottle:
NOTE:
Numbers in parentheses ( ) refer to the parts list /assembly drawing number for the component (Figure 1). Figure 4 shows the installation assembly for the Competition Cheater System.

[ol][*]1. Install the bottle nut adapter (4) and washer (2) on the nitrous bottle (1), and tighten securely.

[*]2. Loosely install the bottle mounting brackets (3) on the nitrous bottle.

[*]3. Locate the bottle assembly in the desired mounting location, ensuring that the location will provide easy access to the bottle valve, hose connection, and bracket clamp bolts to facilitate bottle changing.

[*]4. Use the assembled bottle/bracket unit as a pattern to mark and drill four 5/16" holes in the mounting surface.

[*]5. Mount the brackets securely to the surface (recommended minimum of 5/16" bolts or No. 12 sheet metal screws).

[*]6. Tighten the bracket clamps on the bottle.
[/ol]

Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

My buddy mounted his in the spare tire well when he had nitrous.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Do what i did. Take out the carpet in your trunk and trace it onto some thin plywood, then cut out the shape with a jig-saw. Then you have a nice large mounting surface for your bottle, battery, etc...

Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^^^^^looks good and clean!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 PM
calinotch
1st Gear Member

damn that does look nice cky. i just mounted mine where cky has his battery. just to the right of the spare tire well
Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

nice finger in the pic
but ya that is a nice clean mount!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kweb288

nice finger in the pic
I thought it was funny too, then realized he was covering his plate.

Why not mount it behind the front seat on the floor? Then you could reach back and turn the bottle on
Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

If the bottle is inside the car it has to be vented if your running at the track. But if my bottle is ever closed and i just so happen to feel the urge for some nawwwz all i have to do is pop off the back seat and reach in the trunk real quick. Not the quickest/safest way to do it but trunk mount is worth the stealth factor IMO.

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ORIGINAL: kweb288

nice finger in the pic
I thought it was funny too, then realized he was covering his plate.

Why not mount it behind the front seat on the floor? Then you could reach back and turn the bottle on