5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

speed density supercharged

Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 AM
rebel_yell
2nd Gear Member

Default speed density supercharged

hey so my 88 is a SD and im toying wiht buying the BBK kit my buddy has sitting in his shop he bought for his SSP notch. but what i cant figure out is if i have to convert to MAF. could anyone shed some light or am i gonna have to find out for myself?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:15 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Default RE: speed density supercharged

never heard of it being done but that doesnt mean it cant be done, maybe with a fmu piggyback deal?people turbo hondas that arent mass air so why not
ORIGINAL: rebel_yell

hey so my 88 is a SD and im toying wiht buying the BBK kit my buddy has sitting in his shop he bought for his SSP notch. but what i cant figure out is if i have to convert to MAF. could anyone shed some light or am i gonna have to find out for myself?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:07 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

it would be a lot easier tuning it if you converted to mass air
Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 AM
rebel_yell
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86GT 93LX

never heard of it being done but that doesnt mean it cant be done, maybe with a fmu piggyback deal?people turbo hondas that arent mass air so why not

yea thats what i was thinking i had a honda civic i had turboed back in high school and it wasnt maf
Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86GT 93LX

yea thats what i was thinking i had a honda civic i had turboed back in high school and it wasnt maf
well with a fmu or something like mega squirt anything is possible. i really dont car for maf stuff. i couldnt get my car to run right with maf, but most people have no problems on here converting to maf i just have something wrong i cant figure out like a vac leak i think. but the more crap plugged into a motor the more crap to replace/go wrong. and i think if u get like vortec kit it gives u a custome ecu and maf and all that and injectors. its not just a matter of bolting on a s/c and maf and swaping to a maf ecu anyways. theres a guy on here r.barn with a 351 and some pretty sweet stuff going on, he has a specail ecu, think its a tweecer, but it can control anything basically, and hes using ls1 coils on it. kinda like hondas if u cant trick or get the ecu to do what u want its not going to work right no matter maf or speed density. and on a side note whats funny is i used to have a 88 gtu beretta and it was a 2.8l v6 with mass, and the funny thing is the next year chevy switched all 2.8 and 3.1 stuff to speed density, and alot of cars were retro fitted to speed density. and the stupid maf sensors kept messing up. so maybe thats why, every maf car ive own needed a new maf and never ran as smooth as a speed density car.and man that gtu beretta haulled azz!and it had more power once i converted it to speed density,lol!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:40 AM
rebel_yell
2nd Gear Member

i do know that when the mustang 5.0s went from sd to maf the power rating went from 225 to 205 hp from the factory due to the "restrictions of the mass air system" but maf is easier to tune.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:05 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

i do know that when the mustang 5.0s went from sd to maf the power rating went from 225 to 205 hp from the factory due to the "restrictions of the mass air system" but maf is easier to tune.
a carb is even easier to tune:P but way less eficient among many other problems