5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

information on race spool

Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default information on race spool

so i have excessive wear on rear end and probably should be replaced soon. i was lookin at getting a spool instead of spending 600 bucks on a locker. i can get 31 spline axels, spool, c-clip eliminator kit all for 650.

are spools nice to have or would it be worth getting the locker? or just replacing with a stock carrier? i need some good input.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: information on race spool

spool is fine for the track but not street driving expecially around corners..friend had one in his 65 fastback = would hop around corners and wheel fell of one day cause it loosened all wheel nuts up to the point where they fell off = hop and lack of give caused issue spools are for straight line driving
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you cant even coast through a corner?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:42 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you can make the corners but since one wheel needs to spin faster than the other when making a corner cause it's distance of travel is greater the trac loc/clutches break free and allow that to occur with a spool both wheels are locked all the time and no give therefore the wheel that needs to spin at a different rate when making a corner can't so it'll give you a jitter feel when cornering......I didn't like it but my friend didn't drive the car much so he didn't care
Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

lol, it'd be funny having a spool on the street. its going to be a track car eventually but not yet since shes not that fast yet. so maybe a locker would be the way to go even though is the more expensive way to go.

i have pretty decent wear on my spiders. how long do you think my rear end will last? if you seen my last posts of all the suspension upgrades and i have MT ET streets coming at the end of this months due to back order.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

who knows....run it until it blows or upgrade while it's still useable
Old 06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i would just rebuild the your stock trac loc with some good clutches in there i did when i did my gears and i have dropped the hammer at 5000 and no problems here yet a lot of people are running trac locs with upgraded carriers and axles up to 31 spline

or an eaton is good i hear but more money like u said u get what u pay for[8D]
Old 06-09-2008, 01:26 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

yea but MJR, isnt the reason yours blew up in your 7.5 was due to excess play in the carrier?

i dont wanna take it to the track, drop the hammer at 5k and my **** just falls apart.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:00 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

good information in this thread, never knew that about the spools
Old 06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

dang, its way cheaper to convert to a spool.but that really takes my drivability away on the street.

do you know of any kits that are pretty reliable like a locker but i can still upgrade to 31spline without dropping 1G into my axels? cause 650 sounds pretty nice for completely upgraded rear with a lifetime warrenty on parts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: information on race spool