5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Parking brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
dognutz

Default Parking brake problems

1st is the search function down I have been trying for a couple of dayswith no luck.

The problem is the parking brake handle will be up but the brakes will not be engaged. I left my car parked in front of my house came out 20 min later and it was down the street facing the wrong way up against the curb I was like WTF!! I got in and found the handle in the up postion but without tension. Any ideas whats going on??
it's a 5 speed 5.0 stock brakes.
TIA!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Parking brake problems

stock fox? cause i've had the same exact thing with my fox the whole time i've had it. i know on 87+ they were slef adjust handles, i believe my cables were just stretched out. if the equalizer is broken which it sometimes will break, the one on my fox was when i got it, as in the T was Gone... so i got a new cable and that didnt make it work any better and i know i have good shoes in the back. on my sn it worked fine but that equalizer snapped one day put a new one on and it worked fine. but if the equalizer is broken it's a pain in the a$$ to put the new cable on, normally involves using a vise and a buddy lol.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

mine almost rolled into a tree once...I've heard something w/ a recall or problem with the e brake on foxes and new stangs.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:47 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i had the same issues until i replace all my breaks. then i notice that metal arm that attaches to the ebrake cable was not sitting correctly in its spot. now that it is all fixed i only have to pull my ebreak handle up 3 clicks and its reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly tight. car aint movin.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: camaroeater

mine almost rolled into a tree once...I've heard something w/ a recall or problem with the e brake on foxes and new stangs.
that e-brake recal is for sn95's, it's this little metal peice that bolts onto the handle, it's simply for reinforcement

but even after i replaced my shoes and hardware and the adjuster on the back it still wouldnt work, the cable got pulled down to far and the handle wasnt hitting any teeth on the wheel until it was almost all the way up, once i had it ALL the way up it would Start to hold
Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 PM
dognutz

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

i had the same issues until i replace all my breaks. then i notice that metal arm that attaches to the ebrake cable was not sitting correctly in its spot. now that it is all fixed i only have to pull my ebreak handle up 3 clicks and its reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly tight. car aint movin.
So replacing the brakes did nothing?What did you do to fix it? where is the metal arm on the e brake cable, that you speak of?Can you explain the rapair a little better.
Thanks,

Anyone else.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

take the drum off. follow the ebrake cable as it goes through the backer plate, follow that cable and it connects to a metal arm. it manually pushes the breaks outwards when you pull the ebrake. mine was not sitting properly so it was hardly putting pressure on the breaks.

my brakes and drums were shot so i found this out when i replaced everything. my ebrake is super tight now....its great.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Keep it in gear when you park as welll.