5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine Modification Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Jester241

Default Engine Modification Questions...

So I'm gonna be rebuilding my '87 302 and would like some advice on what kind of parts I'm going to want to put in it. Its bone stock now but after the rebuild I'd like to gain a some NOTICEABLE horsepower. I dont need a rocketship,but I want it to have more grunt then before. I dont want to spend a fortune either,but am expecting to need a cam,intake etc to gain some noticable power while keeping it as simple as possible. So what do you guys think I'll need to put in it as far a parts go? Some guys recommended GT-40 stuff.

And on average,could you give me a rough price that I can expect to payto gain this "noticable" horsepower? And wheres a good place to look for researching/buying this stuff? Its been along time since I've looked at a Jegs catalog,lol.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Engine Modification Questions...

you'll also need a set of heads.. look for some gt-40's on the cheap
Old 06-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Jester241

I'm finding alot of GT-40 intakes and heads on ebay(I love ebay)...mostly "explorer" type. Will these work?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 PM
mustangjon

you'll need heads if you want a good noticeable gain.. price just varies really.. the gt40 stuff is going to be good for what your looking for, keep in mind probably want to buy a set of heads either already had valve job/springs or keep that in mind and have it done yourself, depends on connections and such you could have a nice set of gt40's for half the price or less of a set of aftermarkets. if your looking at replacing cam you could always buy a cam kit with springs.. just depends how much you really want. what are you expecting to spend?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jester241

I'm finding alot of GT-40 intakes and heads on ebay(I love ebay)...mostly "explorer" type. Will these work?
yup

lots of guys here have usd explorer parts

keep in mind there are two different types of GT40 heads, the regular GT40 and then GT40p. Gt40p needs a different type of header, I think up till mid year 96 explorers used regular gt40s, but I may be wrong
Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

If you get some Gt-40 heads, intake and put a decent cam in it with rockers you should be set. Hopefully you already have headers and exhaust and if not get some gears for the rear
Old 06-13-2008, 04:58 AM
Jester241

Cool,thanks guys. This is the kinda stuff I need to know. I'm expecting to spend alittle over a grand or so for some of this basic key components. Its probly gonne be the other nickel and dime oddball stuff that kills me,lol. I just want to make SURE I know exactly what I'm gonna be buying so that its all gonna bolt up and work well together.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 PM
mustangjon

if your looking to stay under 1k... if you dont have headers/exhaust yet... do the gt40 heads/intake... dont do P heads if you have stock exhaust for header clearance... leave cam alone, put some 1.7 rr, heads respringed/valved or buy that way as i suggested, and explorer intake/tbkeep eyes open on classifieds, you should be able to piece this together for 1k or less... add in headers/exhaust/gears/ will get you even bigger gains but expect to add roughly another 1k for it.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 PM
mustangjon

gears are best bang for buck for performance value.. dont increase horse, but increases power to pavement by far.. couple hundred bucks for gears and install.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Jester241

I've got 3.73 gears in it now,but I honestly dont like them at all for regular driving because they were just too low for that. I wished back in the day I would have gone with 3.55's,but now that I'm older and myracing days are pretty much over,and I just want to pretty much joy ride it....I'm not even sure if I'd still want 3.55's? I'm thinking I'd want to go even closer to stock for regular driving.

And it looks like I will be going the GT-40 route. I'm not real familiar with the difference between the regular heads and the "p"s other then the p's must require a modified header which I dont want to deal with,so I going to try to get a used set that are just standard so I dont have anything to worry about. I do plan on getting an aftermarket set of headers though..not sure if that matters as far as the "p's" go. I would like to put a cam in it while I'm at it though,like an E303 I guess. Just not sure what I'm gonna get into with the heads as far as if it might need a whole new valve job,spring,seals,lifters,and rockers etc....or if the used stuff I get will be fine. Good news is,I'm learning more and more again each day because of you guys. Also gonna need to know what all I'm gonna have to do to my engine to get in it proper condition before putting this stuff on it. I plan on getting it honed/bored and getting new pistons,but not sure what else I should do. New crank bearing I assume at least anyway,and probly new old pump. The motors been sitting along time and had seen its better days with about 180K on it. Thanks again guys.....

Quick Reply: Engine Modification Questions...