5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Why are my valves pinging ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:38 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Why are my valves pinging ?

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

every little bit helps but i think mjr likes to show off how much he knows sometimes[8D]
actually with each new advanced diagnostics class I attend and complete I feel more stupid and how little I do know.. this industry is ever so changing and it's tough to stay on top of it and being in the independednt repair side of the industry you never can focus on one make or model so you become a jack of all trades and a master of nothing..sometimes I wonder if the dealership life would be more relaxing...I go from working on a bmw to a toyota and back to a classic car each week[&:]
dealer is just nice because the cars that come in are tipicaly new and never really covered in grease from all the miles on them and stuff. its also the same thing coming in over and over with the same problems which make it easy but at the same time you have to fight over the different jobs with the techs you gotta be basically sucking the service writers dik to get the good jobs it can be a real pain in the *** and at the same time make yourself a really really good amount of money. most people that come into the dealer are willing to spend the money to get their car fixed. i know when i worked for a private garage people wanted stuff does as cheap as possible. we had one guy that would bring his cars in we would tell him whats wrong next thing we know a couple hours later he would show up with the parts from the junk yard. we started telling him to put the stuff on himself because we dont want to back up a junk yard peice it was pretty funny the guy was a tool
Old 06-14-2008, 07:50 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^ain't that the truth!! If I went to work at a dealer.. even with all I have.. I'd be the low man on the toteem pole and have to start from scratch and would be feed the crap jobs..senority rules at the dealer techs that have been there 20-30 years get the good jobs..got a bunch of friends who are in such positions.....It's just getting harder and harder to make a buck in this field...a few of my friends though us as tech were rolling in the dough..they actually thought I made a 6 figure salary!!..when I informed them such was far from the truth they were shocked
Old 06-14-2008, 07:50 AM
bjlo4life

Wow/ great feedback guys. I will keep up w/ the higher octane and see if that solves my problem. I'm taking the car out today and will see how it peforms. I thought about the egr and wasnt sure if that was just for emissions or not. I know you cant just unplug the egr or that will really mess things up. I know the timing and a low octane will make valve noise but will that also explain the higher temp rise when i run it hard and start hearing the valves ping ? The temp goes up pretty good and when i start to hear the valves thats when i really notice the loss of power and if i dont start running it easy the baby will really get hot. if i do slow down and start runnin it easy no probs. This is all happening while going up a 3 mile steep grade where you really need to run your engine hard to go up the mountain 55-60 mph ? sorry this sounds so difficult, but like i said before its absolutley fine when i'm jus puttin around at 45-55 on a nice flat where i dont need to mak a performance stand lol !
Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

elevated engine temp due to a cooling system malfunctioning will contribute to the prob ...if the coolant surrounding the cylinder bores is hotter then what normal operating temp is suppose to be it'll contribute to elevated cylinder temps which is what casues detonation = exccessive cumbustion chamber temps and what'll happen is you'll spontaneously combust a secondary flame front in the cumbustion process and the pinging you hear is the two flame fronts colliding = bad!!...but anyway start with the easy set timing to stock = 10 degrees or leave it where it's at and use high octane fuel and if it still does it..make sure your cooling system is functioning properly and if it is and there are no codes in the computer..go have an induction cleaning performed