5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Motor swap advice (crate motor)

Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Default Motor swap advice (crate motor)

Hi guys!

I had to temporarily shelf my motor swap for a while because of finances and all, but I'm back on track, and looking at completing the job by late April of this year. I'm getting the engine from D&D Motorsports (www.dndmotorsports.com). Its the 425 HP Comp Hawk Longblock setup. My stang has over 300k miles, and I know there is going to be a lot of incidentals to take care of. So far, I have a Systemax intake, 70mm TB, 76mm MAF, and 30# injectors waiting in the garage.

My goal for the car is for it to be deep under cover, posing as stock even when cruising with the wife, but being mean and nasty when the gas is stomped. With that in mind:

1. The guy at D&D told me that the engine will be a smooth idler, because I don't want to be rocking and rolling in mall parking lots and have mothers jerking their kids out of my way like they think I'm going to stomp the gas any second... Do you guys think that he was being straight with me, or trying to sell me? I know 425 HP is a pretty big jump from nearly stock, so how do I know that this will be as streetable as stock? Should I have a custom cam ground for it to make sure it's not too lopey? If I had to sacrifice a couple ponies off the top end to keep it feeling stock at idle, I'd do it in a second.

2. I know that I'll need motor mounts and tranny mounts, what's a good brand/material?

3. I'll be going with a Centerforce DF and I'll need a pilot bearing and throwout bearing. I know one of those comes with the clutch, but I have heard that the ones that come thrown in are junk. Where do I get good bearings?

4. I have a good catback exhaust, but I need headers. I don't want to trash the emmissions control on the car, but I have heard that the cats can get clogged up, and after 300k miles, it's a possibility. How do I know if they are trashed?

5. What are the other 52,000 things that I don't know enough to realize that need replacing/attention in an engine swap?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:02 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

in your case since you are goal specific a custom cam would be best bet here to max all angles
Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, MJR. Anyone have anything else to add to this, or am I going about asking the wrong way? Did I **** someone off, or is my post putting people to sleep?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

It is possible for them to get that kind of power of of an engine without a massive cam. You could always ask them for some type of sound clip of the engine if you really doubt them.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcfomco
It is possible for them to get that kind of power of of an engine without a massive cam. You could always ask them for some type of sound clip of the engine if you really doubt them.
Define massive. Does massive mean excessively loud, or excessively rough idle, or lots of both? I just don't want the thing to vibrate my brain enough to produce double vision at stoplights, or be like that fuc*ing Harley that you can hear from the next county. If it vibrates more at idle, can I dampen that with different motor mounts?

The whole thing is that I don't want people to be like "Yeah, THAT's had some work done to it!" when I pass... Old ladies scowling at me, mothers jerking their kids out of the street... I just want it to have class and manners, and a whole assload of power. If there are plenty of production cars rolling around with 500 horses under the hood, it can obviously be done, right?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

If you're still running the stock t-5, you'll be picking up the pieces after you mash the go pedal. Save for a T-56 or TKO
Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FLcracker9
If you're still running the stock t-5, you'll be picking up the pieces after you mash the go pedal. Save for a T-56 or TKO
Yeah, that I know. I just want to get a worked T-5. There are a couple companies to choose from, and I don't have to replace the bell housing, crossmember, and shifter.

Hey, any mechanics out there want to tell me about how much it will cost roughly to have someone pull the old motor and put in the new one?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

There is a shop in my town that will do it for about $300 bucks turnkey. I know it's a long ways from you, but these guys have some serious fast cars and do cleaner work than the dealerships. The young guy by the name of Scott(32yo) runs in the sub 6.50 index around the 215 mph or more index. He built the car from the ground up in his shop.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:50 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by FLcracker9
such bad information... tsk tsk tsk

the T5 isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be... the biggest weakness of a T5 is the lack of skill of the driver.

Ive but many heart pounding miles on my T5 behid my 347.. and its still going strong (with 160k on the gears i might add)
Old 01-29-2009, 05:09 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

to get those hp #s from a small displacement engine its gonna have a "noticeable" idle. you can even run it through stock mufflers and your still gonna know its nastee! a 327 ci small ford! ohh the hair on my arms are already standing up hearing it twist 6500rpms sweeet! you lucky bastard!