5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stall/mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:01 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Default Stall/mpg

For those of you who put in a stall how bad did it hurt your fuel economy? & what size stall with that?
Debating on putting auto back in car, but not really interested in going with my c4 again atm. So though about building an aode
Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Stall/mpg

for street driven vehicles you'd wanna stay in the 2800 to 3300 range and the rearend gear will dictate the upper level you can go to..I had a 2000 in my 85 at one time and was fine but it wasn't enough stall......if you have a 3800 stall and your cruise rpm is lets say 2500 your gonna heat the tranny up and an external cooler will really be needed...the greater disparage between your cruise rpm and your advertised stall speed will equate to hotter trans temp and some mpg loss ..a 3000 stall is not a bad comprimise between the two..had a friend with such and it worked well..he had 4.11 gears to and a tci c-4
Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i had a 3500, loved it, burned up after 400 miles, clutches in it got wayyyy to hot and burned up. they got me another one, its only flashes to about 2500-2800, not enough for what i have. i still have 3.27's and it still puts me back in the seat some, but that 3500 stall allowed me to foot brake to 3k and boy was that a load of fun lol

im about to go to a tko600 setup b/c the converter i NEED wont last 50 street miles so the converter that i CAN run would be too tight.

if you are looking for an AODE, i got you for ya, i just had it rebuilt, blue clutches and other junk (told them about 400hp) and they set the valve body for very nice shifts. its got like 700 miles on it, i have had motor problems so the car hasnt moved much. email me if you are interested.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

2000 is too low. My debate was mainly between 2800 range or 3600. I would consider 2500, but i'd like to keep it high enough for the turbos to produce some boost.

I know autos pretty well in & out, I used to run a built c4 in my car with 4.10's when I was setting it up mostly for strip use. I'm kinda burned out on the strip now & fuel economy is a concern, not a big one, but still one none the less since this is a street car that I do enjoy taking out & cruising around for a few hours on the weekends.

I still have a pretty beefy trans cooler in my garage with the c4 so cooling isn't a problem.

94, no thanks. I prefer building my own parts from stock up. I don't really like having someone elses work in any of my cars. Most of my cars started with no engine or trans.

Anyway, my idea I had in mind was going with an aode with just a shift kit & stall for now. The reason for the 3500 idea was because I put the 2.73's back in & have no intention of changing them over to the 3.55 or 4.10's. The highest i'd go is 3.08's & that's pretty well a waste to go from 2.73 to 3.08.

Not that I don't love manuals, but built autos are just as fun imo. Comparing a stock auto to a manual, of course manual hands down, but built autos are a whole different story.

Anyway, I think I kinda got sidetracked off of the main topic
How much did the 2000 & 3500 effect fuel economy after you two installed them? I had no reason in checking the way anything effected economy on my old setup because I was building it for the strip so I really didn't care at the time. If it's a loss of a couple mpg that's not too bad, if it's a loss of over 5 for a big one that's not too good.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:02 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

[sm=smiley10.gif] No one got some #'s for me?[sm=yikesomg.gif]
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

I put a Precision Industries 2700 Stall on my 95GT, but I added a mild TrickFlow Stg-1 at the same time, to compliment the stall speed. My mpg went from 15 to 13mpg, mostly city driving.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It's going to depend a lot on the converter's efficiency as well. A really efficient converter will transfer power better and therefore get better mileage, a lower efficiency converter will do the opposite. And this is for the same stall speed, don't cheap out on converter quality.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:30 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i dont know what my car did stock, i bought it w/ a knock, had a cracked head, and it got stroked.
i got like 22mpg with a 3500-3800 stall, it would foot brake to 3k
h/c/i 331 w/ 3.27's and 26. tire

dude, my trans has the stock vb, but was drilled and played with for shifts to not break your neck, but shift the car fast, but not fast enough to spin the tires between shifts and loose et. i love it.
its about a 2800 stall, my car takes off from the line and i cant get an exact rpm it flashes to since im watching the road.
im only selling it b/c im gonna get a tko600 and 4.30's-which is gonna be fun lol
the trans has like 700 miles on it, built by a shop that has some 4,000hp car, its nuts, i was looking at it, they told me how much that thing costs and its crazy.

but getting back to the thread, i understand about building your own stuff, not a problem.
but when i spend 2,200 on a trans rebuild, i know its done right, i asked around and they said the guy does great work. if you would like to talk about it, just pm me, i can send video or something if you would like. if not, no big deal.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Good info!

Also... I've heard from a friend that someone makes an electronic lockup for fuel economy, anyone know anything about that or does it not exist? My whole reason for going with an aode rather than an aod was so I could shut off the od & use 1-3rd in a manual setup.
ORIGINAL: NoGo95GT
I put a Precision Industries 2700 Stall on my 95GT, but I added a mild TrickFlow Stg-1 at the same time, to compliment the stall speed. My mpg went from 15 to 13mpg, mostly city driving.
Not too bad
ORIGINAL: 67mustang302
It's going to depend a lot on the converter's efficiency as well. A really efficient converter will transfer power better and therefore get better mileage, a lower efficiency converter will do the opposite. And this is for the same stall speed, don't cheap out on converter quality.
Didn't know that. What are good brands as far as efficiency?

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln
i dont know what my car did stock, i bought it w/ a knock, had a cracked head, and it got stroked.
i got like 22mpg with a 3500-3800 stall, it would foot brake to 3k
h/c/i 331 w/ 3.27's and 26. tire
dude, my trans has the stock vb, but was drilled and played with for shifts to not break your neck, but shift the car fast, but not fast enough to spin the tires between shifts and loose et. i love it.
its about a 2800 stall, my car takes off from the line and i cant get an exact rpm it flashes to since im watching the road.
im only selling it b/c im gonna get a tko600 and 4.30's-which is gonna be fun lol
the trans has like 700 miles on it, built by a shop that has some 4,000hp car, its nuts, i was looking at it, they told me how much that thing costs and its crazy.

but getting back to the thread, i understand about building your own stuff, not a problem.
but when i spend 2,200 on a trans rebuild, i know its done right, i asked around and they said the guy does great work. if you would like to talk about it, just pm me, i can send video or something if you would like. if not, no big deal.
22mpg isn't too bad for what it is... Granted I have 2.73's in so that'll probably help out a little as far as fuel economy. A vid would be awesome if you've got one.

It's not a matter of the money as much as when something gets done to my car I like to know. Plus it's a good learning experience for later on. Heck when I first was reinstalling my c4 after i did some work on the valvebody & installed an h servo, I didn't get the converter in good & ended up killing the pump [8D] Gotta learn somehow.
In any case, when someone asks I can say "i built it" I guess it's mostly for knowledge & i like figuring out how things work & ways to upgrade them.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

yes aode has lockup, my converter has it. you need to run a switch to turn it on and off during cruise since your pcm does not support it.
3 companies i heard to go with
some thing chance- from california- take a chance with chance- thats all i know, a guy from work had a 7k stall from him years ago and got hundreds of passes and its still good, so it must be a good piece, $1,600 converter lol
lenny @ ultimate converter
precision industries.