5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Easiest way to rid of old gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:03 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Easiest way to rid of old gas?

yeah, just drive it, a year isnt that bad, my friends dad used to get gas from maple leaf metals from cars that were sitting for years and years, and he had no problems.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:13 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Year old gas is not cool to use. It starts turning into varnish after a month or so. It will eat up your fuel system.

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

yeah, just drive it, a year isnt that bad, my friends dad used to get gas from maple leaf metals from cars that were sitting for years and years, and he had no problems.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

gas is ok for longer than a month, but if you can pull the gas cap and smell that varnishy smell its not good to use.

+1 for letting the electric fuel pump do the work
Old 06-24-2008, 08:29 PM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

gas stabilizer and some fuel injection cleaner fill the tank with good gas and DRIVE
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Just top it off, add some cleaner and stabilizerthen run it the dog **** out of it lol. Then change your filter and throw another bottle of cleaner in it and you'll be fine.

But if you don't want to just drive it unhook the fuel line and let the pump do the work. If you still have a little left in it oo well. It isn't gonna be bad enough to screw anything up.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 PM
droptop302
3rd Gear Member

Ya lets turn the key back an forth thats a stright up wast of time and good way to burn the pump out... Dumping it in the gorund and or down the drain is plain stupid u should go to jail if you doing s@#$like that. I would do what mjr says and put some 93ot in with some good fuil cleaner in it "tecron".
Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: droptop302

Ya lets turn the key back an forth thats a stright up wast of time and good way to burn the pump out... Dumping it in the gorund and or down the drain is plain stupid u should go to jail if you doing s@#$like that. I would do what mjr says and put some 93ot in with some good fuil cleaner in it "tecron".
you realy are a dumbass arent you

theres like 15 different ways to supply power to the pump so that it will crank over continuously to pump the fuel out.

disconnect the fuel line off the engine side of the fuel filter, slide a piece (4-5' or so) of 3/8" fuel injection grade hose over the end of the filter, and put the other end into a gas can, bucket, w/e!

then you can just pick your way of "hot-wiring" the pump. Since my car has the CCRM system, it was slightly more involved than grounding the relay. But all I did was unplug my inertia switch, ran a wire from the positive side of my battery over, and plugged it into the pump side of the switch harness.

Instant sump pump... no need to drop the tank
Old 06-24-2008, 11:09 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Mine didn't have a problem when I had my fuel pump on a toggle switch. Thats what I did when I had to drop the tank when it was full. Worked out pretty good too.

And go to jail for dumping fuel on the ground? Are you some kind of enviromentalist?
Hell you should put the gas in a safe somewhere and keep it with the way gas is going lol. You might need it when they start the rationing again.[&:] I feel sorry for Cali being over $5/gal. People go thru the parking lot just to steal gas or take your license plate to drive off at gas stations so you will get caught.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 PM
droptop302
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: droptop302

you realy are a dumbass arent you

theres like 15 different ways to supply power to the pump so that it will crank over continuously to pump the fuel out.

disconnect the fuel line off the engine side of the fuel filter, slide a piece (4-5' or so) of 3/8" fuel injection grade hose over the end of the filter, and put the other end into a gas can, bucket, w/e!

then you can just pick your way of "hot-wiring" the pump. Since my car has the CCRM system, it was slightly more involved than grounding the relay. But all I did was unplug my inertia switch, ran a wire from the positive side of my battery over, and plugged it into the pump side of the switch harness.

Instant sump pump... no need to drop the tank
I did not call anyone out on turning the key back and forth i just missed the part jump the relay... and for calling me a dumbass you know what i think already about you just not going to wast my time typing what i think[:@]
Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
droptop302
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: projectresto83

Mine didn't have a problem when I had my fuel pump on a toggle switch. Thats what I did when I had to drop the tank when it was full. Worked out pretty good too.

And go to jail for dumping fuel on the ground? Are you some kind of enviromentalist?
Hell you should put the gas in a safe somewhere and keep it with the way gas is going lol. You might need it when they start the rationing again.[&:] I feel sorry for Cali being over $5/gal. People go thru the parking lot just to steal gas or take your license plate to drive off at gas stations so you will get caught.
Enviromentalist yes....