5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I need help w/ H-Pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 PM
macchaser

Default I need help w/ H-Pipe install

OK - I installed a BBK O/R H-Pipe. I have 2 chamber Flowmasters which have been on the
car for awhile but in good shape. BBK shorty equal length headers,Ford Motorsport E-303 cam.

Heres my problem. Finally got the new pipes on. They seemed to line up good. In fact the
little pipe even fit (smog pump pipe). I tightened everything up equally, a couple of times,
everything seems good & tight. When I start the car it's really loud.... but I hear as much sound (flutter-like) coming from the point where the headers hook up to the pipe.( both sides). It doesn't sound bad but it doesnt have that "growl" like I think it should. It kind of sounds like a drag car when its idling (because of the cam?) but it doesn't sound like ANY of the clips Ive researched. Its really lound inside the car and a lot of the noise is up front. If its leaking bad would it be a good idea to take it to a shop where they can make sure there are no leaks? Will a muffler shop work on it now that I pulled the cats off? I'm stuck-please HELP.

thanx

Old 06-26-2008, 08:15 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I need help w/ H-Pipe install

well as shops go..u just gotta check cuz one place my buddy took his camaro n it didnt have any cats n they wouldnt touch it unless he paid them the money for a cat n they replaced it...but my other buddy took his mustang in n had them put on a new off road h n they told him they werent responsible but they did it...as for the problem..u made sure that the pipes arent hitting the body anywhere right? because i have that problem once with something out of adjustment and it made it really loud inside..the leak sound u think u hear..is it a ticking sound?..and u should be able to check somewhat urself for leaks..feel around and get on the ground n listen as close as u can at the joints..
Old 06-26-2008, 08:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

just start it up and put your hands near the pipes (dont worry, they take a minute or two to actually get hot)

just feel around for air puffing out
Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

yes a large enough leak to hear the air ocming out you should be able to feel it without a problem, there's only 4 spots where it would leak anyways.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Devious50

i had the same problem with mine, it took about three tries to get it to line up right, my friends stang had the same issue, and yes it sounds like a drag car cusof the cam, straight piping makes it way too loud, kind of annoying. although your cam isnt anything big it still makes it sound real beefy idling, i have the same cam, same headers and i usedto have the OR H pipe as well, i have two chamber flowmasters too, so its all the same, i'll see if i have a vid so you can more or less see what its suppose sound like without the leaks
Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 PM
macchaser

Thanks - I'd like to hear it to compare. It sucks not having a lift even
to do these simple bolt-ons. Jack stands are ok but don't quite cut it.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Devious50

ok right now my car has bbk shorties the same cam as you the same h pipe same mufflers and everything,i couldnt find a video where its idleing so i went out with my phone and took one and sent it to my email. photobucket wont work for me right now but i can email it to you, the quality is really really ****ty but you can still hear it pretty good
Old 06-27-2008, 06:04 AM
macchaser

Thanks - email me : dlbchase@sbcglobal.net