5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

torque converters???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:18 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default torque converters???

Can someone explain to me exactly how a torque converter works. How would my car act and what would it do if I put in a 2400 stall converter?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:55 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: torque converters???

the converter connects to the flywheel and to the trans. its allows the engine to run while the car is in drive and the car not move. at low rpms (idle) the converter slips and thats why the car can sit at a stop light. the higher the rpm the less the converter will slip. at about 1800 i think, the stock converter is no longer slipping at all. the higher the stall speed, the higher you can get the rpms up before the car really begins to move. it will move a bit with a high stall but not untill you get higher in the rpms. this is helpful in a drag race because you can get the rpms higher (where the power is) before the trans locks to the motor which means more power at the launch. 2400 is a good speed for a street car. if you do get a converter, buy a trans cooler!! the extra sliping the high stall converter does will heat the trans up quite a bit. a good cooler from b&m is $50.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

with a stall the tranny is actually slipping. this creates heat. a smaller converter has less slippage then a higher one but ahigher one matches your powerband better.

i got a 3k on my car and it peformed nicely, i also have another 3k stall for sale.. if interested its a B&M holeshot 3000, along with a transgo shift VB and a pro billet servo
Old 05-03-2005, 09:37 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

so if i got like a 2400 stall coverter, can i sit at a light and not move without holding a brake? <<<<<,, stupid question and im sure the answer is yes
Old 05-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

the converter connects to the flywheel and to the trans. its allows the engine to run while the car is in drive and the car not move. at low rpms (idle) the converter slips and thats why the car can sit at a stop light. the higher the rpm the less the converter will slip. at about 1800 i think, the stock converter is no longer slipping at all. the higher the stall speed, the higher you can get the rpms up before the car really begins to move. it will move a bit with a high stall but not untill you get higher in the rpms. this is helpful in a drag race because you can get the rpms higher (where the power is) before the trans locks to the motor which means more power at the launch. 2400 is a good speed for a street car. if you do get a converter, buy a trans cooler!! the extra sliping the high stall converter does will heat the trans up quite a bit. a good cooler from b&m is $50.
Another way to imagine how a torque converter works. Take two fans, have them facing each other. One fan represents the part of the converter connected to the trans, the other fan is the part of the converter connected to the flywheel/flex plate. Turn on the fan representing the side bolted to the flywheel. This fan will start to spin the other fan up, but you can still stop it with your hand. That's the basic idea, there's more to it like torque multiplication etc. And like lt13 said, get a cooler if you go with a higher stall converter.

If you go out and put your car in gear and hold the brake while giving it the gas, you will notice the rpm's stop at a certain point and won't rise anymore (unless you start spinning the rear wheels) this is the "stall speed." Don't do it for very long and put trans in N for 30 secs afterward to let the oil cool.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:40 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

what the difference between lock up and non lock up. and whats the way to go for a sret car?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bobby

what the difference between lock up and non lock up. and whats the way to go for a sret car?
A lock up converter has a friction lining in the lid (side bolted to the flywheel.) When conditions are met (operating tem/closed loop mode/3rd or 4th gear/ cruise throttle) a solenoid will send oil to a piston (connected to the trans side of the converter) this piston will apply and make a mechanical link between the engine and the transmission. If for any reason the converter does not unlock, as you come to a stop the car will buck and stall. Just like if you were driving a manual trans and forgot to disengage the clutch when you stop.

The AOD does not have a lock up converter, however the AODE and 4R70W do. Lock up is almost like having an extra gear. It was made to help with emissions and fuel mileage.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:23 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

so lock up is the way to go? THANKS!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

AOD stock says lock up. they recomend you get a non lock up converter when upgrading. i run a non lockup. lockup is good for boosted applications
Old 05-03-2005, 10:48 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

go here it's all the info you'll ever need
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter1.htm

Quick Reply: torque converters???