5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

head tips, and boost for my volstang

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM
500dollar744ti

Default head tips, and boost for my volstang

i picked up this 1984 volvo 760gle recently and i am in the midst of repairing a head gasket break. the engine is a 1989 mustang roller bored to 306. i removed the heads and it appears to have the flattop "eyebrow" pistons? is this correct mustang jargon? i have not been into ford performance for a few years now and need to catch back up. i am trying to find out if these are the forged pistons because details about the motor are sparse and contacting anyone that knows anything about it has been impossible. i have a reciept for a motorsport cam that was installed, i know it's been bored to 306 but that's about it.

i was under the impression it had e7 heads on it but when i pulled them i noticed they are actually gt40 heads, well that's good. i also noticed that a head bolt had lifted and popped apart. i guess the previous owner knew of these problems but never got around to fixing it. i assume this because i found a set of ARP studs in the trunk along with a full set of engine gaskets. the car also came with a new radiator and summit race fans. i installed all that and confirmed the head gasket was shot as trusting the previous owner for a reliable diagnosis was not an option.

so here are my questions because i am turbocharging this motor... i want 7-10 psi on a large single turbo, that's all for now.

eec-iv map- as a bare bones setup with just mechanically adding the turbo at 7-10psi i want to use the map that's on there for now... anybody do this around here? i got to think someone has added a turbo to a 5.0 mustang w/ MAF and didn't mess with management... if this is not even remotely possible i will just swap MSnS like i did on my 4cyl race car.

turbo stuff- plan to use cheap ebay hotside parts, i don't care what you think about ssautochrome, i think the stuff sucks too, i only need it to last a few months until breaks start to appear and i can re-weld stuff to stiffen it up. single turbo, probably used holset hx-40 or equivelent will be mounted on the passenger side, top mount, intercooled and 3" downpipe.

heads- gt40, what should i do to 'em while i have them off the block? i mean where should i port for max efficiency, anybody singh groove their heads? i am thinking the arp studs with standard *** felpro headgaskets will be fine to 7psi.

i know the block will split down the center around 500hp, i want to keep it comfortably under that so it lasts a few months. how can i tell if it's got forged internals?

stock 1989 aod trans w/ some sort of shift kit (maybe b&m?)... how much torque will it take to blow that thing.

your input is greatly appreciated, i am looking for super duper bang for the buck power here, i am talking 400hp for sub-$1000 (including cost of car), i can do the labor, just trying to figure out some details.

and even if you tell me it will blow up, i am damn sure still going to do it and then just blow it up, it will be worth it even if i only make 5 passes at the strip.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: head tips, and boost for my volstang

well have the intake runners on the heads smootheD OUT and port exhaust AND GASKET MATCH AND HAVE BOWLS BLENDED.......and if you want it to last in the least a little bit a tune really should be considered cause detonation will kill the motor before hp does on a turbo set up and think about having a boost retard control and have an adequate fuel system
Old 07-05-2008, 02:55 PM
500dollar744ti

Default RE: head tips, and boost for my volstang

yeah, i was hoping it has forged pistons and i think 9.0:1 CR, that will make it a lot safer for turbo... i know about the whole detonation thing, i have a box full of volvo pistons that i have blown the ring lands off over the past year racing. i run 22-24psi boost on my 4cyl car, i would only want to have around 7psi to get started on this thing.

i have added turbos to many n/a motors but never a v8, always something smaller. through my experience boosting cars that were never "meant" to be boosted, i have always had wonderful results, problems only start to occur when i start pushing the car too hard. even with that being the case i am a full time volvo technician and have two lifts at my disposal, i do all my work at the shop so a blown motor is not too big of a deal to me.

just trying to learn a bit here