5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Newbie Help.. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
NeXuS21

Default Newbie Help.. Thanks!

Hey Everyone Just a Formal Hello to Everyone... Die Hard GM guy, But always secretly wanted a Fox Body.. Anyways i bought an 87 GT hatch Its ok.. has idle issues and for some reason if the lights are on for over 10 mins they flicker on off on off just the head lights tho not the running lights even if the car isnt moving so im stumped?!?! Wiring issue i guess.And Also most of the time its really hard to get into 2nd without grinding.. grandma shift and it goes ok but try to hammer and it sounds bad i was thinking either Synchro or fork?!? im new to the T-5. Anyways i was just wondering if anyone had some shots of a Stock or close to stock Engine Bay this guy kinda hacked **** so im trying to find out where everything is susposed to go?.. Also any sites for good writeups and such.. Im going to get a Haynes book in a few days.. Thanks For your help and Its good to be here! some of the other Mustang forums were pretty lame and more geared towards newer Stangs!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
SPE926
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie Help.. Thanks!

Tranny problem could be as simple as a stretched out clutch cable, Mine would do the same thing. Lights could be wiring but may also be your head light switch. I would check for vacuum leaks to start on bad idle as well as do a complete tune up as in plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, cap, rotor, and check your tps.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
NeXuS21

yea it looks like it has a aftermarket clutch cabel going thru the firewall has a blue **** looking thing that turns i guess that the adjustment... i dont think any vacume leaks but the guy has a bunch of **** capped and what not.. Hack job BS.. Wires, plugs, cap, and rotor all look new he said he did a tune up about 5,000 miles ago so??

Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
campbellsoup24
1st Gear Member

I had the same headlight issues as well, I pulled the fog lights and it went away, but if you don't want to do that it could be a bad light switch or dimmer switch. My guess on the T-5 in that you sycro is out of whack, mine is doing the same thing right now. As far as the idle issue, I would get a new air idle control. It's right on the front of your throttle body, it's held on by two small bolts and has a plug on the bottom of it, it kind of sits on an angle and is rounded. You can get one from autozone or any autoparts store, there about $10-15 bucks and really easy to change. I agian had the same issue with my car and that fixed it. Hope that helps?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: SPE926

Tranny problem could be as simple as a stretched out clutch cable, Mine would do the same thing. Lights could be wiring but may also be your head light switch. I would check for vacuum leaks to start on bad idle as well as do a complete tune up as in plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, cap, rotor, and check your tps.
Not ^^^likely........one gear specific grinds are related to internal issue most likely with the blocker ring or sincro hub/gear assembley.........as for flicker... check headlight switch for any melted wiring or loose connections on harness
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
NeXuS21

hey thanks!.. Yea when the lights started doing it tonight if i hit the dash around the lights switch it would cause it to act up i guess its getting to hott becuase of the fog lights, but yea if i turn them off it fixes the problem i guess ill get a new switch from the junkyard and wire the fog's up to its own switch and wiring.... also i was wondering where in the hell is the tranny fill plug/level dipstick if there is one.. i was going to check and or change the fluis but i have no idea where its at?! I have cleaned the IAC and done an "idel relarn" but didnt help i have to have it arounbd 1,000 to keep it going and evry once and a while it will surge and somtimes die..also i have a 140 speedo im guessing by reading some posts thats a cluster from a newer year? Also my guage lights dont work at all other lights work the HVAC lights work but no guage lights i checked the connection behind the cluster and its connected and tight..One more and ill stop with the questions, gas and oil pressure and temp guages fluctuate somtimes they work.. somtimes they dont...? any thoughts.... Thanks!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

tranny drain plug and fill plug..if it's a 5 spd are on the passanger side...center of tranny...they have a square flat to put a rachet in to loosen them...can't miss them
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 PM
NeXuS21

is there any way to check the fluid if its low or anything?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes remove the fill plug...it should dribble out..if not it may be a tad low.. so stick your pinky in there and see if you can feel any
Old 07-11-2008, 07:39 AM
NeXuS21

I was reading another post and somone was saying ATF in a 5-spd?!?! Is that right, just dexron/mercron? i thought manual's needed a gear lube type or somthing!