5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Shorties or Longtubes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shorties or Longtubes?

ORIGINAL: jakeachy

ORIGINAL: Hamutoff

and *can* give up torque in some applications
that is inaccurate.
what is? back up your contrary statement or shut it[/b]
Old 07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

that is inaccurate.
what is? back up your contrary statement or shut it[/b]
shorties tend to have lower exhaust velocity(what you simple folk call "backpressure") than long tubes.
Its the same principle as short ram intakes versus say a deep fender well intake.
SRI breaths better up top, but low end is lost, and vice versa.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

that is inaccurate.
what is? back up your contrary statement or shut it
shorties tend to have lower exhaust velocity(what you simple folk call "backpressure") than long tubes.
Its the same principle as short ram intakes versus say a deep fender well intake.
So when the dyno numbers state that a change of one variable: header change, resulted in less torque at low rpm it was probably because the tune of the engine system now needed to be updated/optimized again, just as other changes of flow or your "backpressure" would mandate a tune to perfect - so what? It is still an instance that torque was lost because of switching to longtubes.

So the statement opposing my general statement that by extension read: "Switching to long tubes will never-ever result in a loss of any torque no matter what" cannot be true, but the statement that it is possible to loose torque can be true in cases.

I am willing to revaluate what I have been told/shown is your statment to read that longtubes will generally GAIN low end torque and LOOSE high end HP?
Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

that is inaccurate.
what is? back up your contrary statement or shut it
So when the dyno numbers state that a change of one variable: header change, resulted in less torque at low rpm it was probably because the tune of the engine system now needed to be updated/optimized again, just as other changes of flow or your "backpressure" would mandate a tune to perfect - so what? It is still an instance that torque was lost because of switching to longtubes.

So the statement opposing my general statement that by extension read: "Switching to long tubes will never-ever result in a loss of any torque no matter what" cannot be true, but the statement that it is possible to loose torque can be true in cases.

I am willing to revaluate what I have been told/shown is your statment to read that longtubes will generally GAIN low end torque and LOOSE high end HP?
Thanks
haha, youve got no idea what youre talking about.
I suggest reading some articles on the charatersistics of airflow.
"tune for headers"- haha
for your "revaluate", yes, to an extent, beyond the powerband of the engine there will be time where peak hp at certain rpm would be lower than a shorty.
And oh boy, if you dont think tq is gained while switching to a better flowing manifold, its time to do some reading.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:45 PM
quickstang89

iv got ford racing shorty headers with an off road x-pipe. 2 1/2 all way back through flowmaster thunder 44's and it sounds great. good and throaty but not too loud. i love it. i dont know anything about the whole airflow thing...lol but it sounds awesome.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:08 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

haha lets not make this post too personal guys. so is it worth the longtubes? anyone ever installed some on a 95?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:11 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

if you really plan to make some power, get longtubes.
you dont see 1000hp cars w/ shorties do you?
shorties are easier to install though.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:35 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

yeah. well im not building a dragster. this is a daily driver but i plan on puttin a few upgrades to it like cold air, diffrent intake, throtle body, ford racing cam, ignition, basic bolt ons. maybe a small shot of nitrous someday. so would the shorties hold up for 300-400hp?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1970coupe

yeah. well im not building a dragster. this is a daily driver but i plan on puttin a few upgrades to it like cold air, diffrent intake, throtle body, ford racing cam, ignition, basic bolt ons. maybe a small shot of nitrous someday. so would the shorties hold up for 300-400hp?
a good longtube will really open it up!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

300-400hp, sure. you can make 800hp w/ shorties, but you will get more than 800 when you swap to longs. how much power do you actually lose? i dont know.
i was told that my shorties would hold me back on my stroker, so i just bought longs.

Quick Reply: Shorties or Longtubes?