5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang codes= Help!! UPDATE!!!! REpl....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:09 AM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang codes= Help!! UPDATE!!!! REpl....

Right on joel , what could cause this? also it kind of sounds like the motor pings (slight ticking) but only in 3rd gear to 5th gear and its only between 2500-4000 rpms any in sight on that or maybe its the same problem also i have the fuel pressure set at 46psi otherwise the car runs lean and the check engine light comes on and off, my timing is set at 13* what could cause the ping?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Need to make sure the EGR valve is injecting exhaust gases into the intake...... engine idling, manually apply vacuum to the valve and make sure the engine stumbles or stalls. If the EGR valve is clogged (not allowing exhaust gases to flow) but actuating, the EEC will add spark advance for the exhaust gases...... since there is none going into the intake, the engine will ping. Suggest to swap O2 sensors from sides, if a code 176 shows up instead of 172 afterwards, that O2 sensor is defective. LUK
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

thanks joel [sm=hail.gif]that was my pinging problem, i had a hose kinked coming from the egr but the lean problem still persists my fuel pressure it set at 50psi now any lower and the car bucks horribly when i accelerate wont even go anywhere it just buck's you back and fourth and gives you whiplash iput my freinds 98 cobra 02 sensors on and the problem is still the same, friggin 5.0's but your help is very appreciated, what next [sm=sigh.gif]
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 AM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

update: just drove the car and its not running at all now it bucks really bad, car no longer driveable, it feels like the fuel cuts on and off or something i have no clue also engine pings extremely bad at all rpms, the car is only driveable when i smash the gas wot, my timing is at 13 im clueless now on what the hell is going on with it, i think it has something todo with the lean condition i know it does, please help.... i had the same exact problem a month ago and it went away on its own and when i unplug my maf sensor the car runs perfect, 2 weeks ago i bought a new maf sensor so i know its not that.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:21 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Verify the MAF is mounted instraight up position and clean the element inside with MAF cleaner spray, it may have oil residue from your CAI on it.

On the 02 sensors, run on ohm resistance check on its ground wire, located driver side firewall, dont know if its different on the SN, than the fox. But find their ground wire and ohm test it to ground.

I use a sewing needle, so I dont ruin the wire.

Just becuase you show 12 volts +/- at a wire, dont mean jack squad.

Awire carries a signal/voltage, a poor quality wire, or its connection will effect the quality of that signal/voltage.

Also, I dont know if our cars has the "WIRE WIGGLE TEST" in our ECM's or not.

Dont let this car fool you or it's issue beat you to death, you are the owner.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Right on bro i will check that out, yeah my maf sensor is not mounted straight up ill try that 1st if that dont work ill do the ground wire test not today **** i just got off of work im sore, tiredand i feel like i have been beatin with a bat Damn construction. right on though ill report back for further information thanks alot[sm=sigh.gif]

Dont let this car fool you or it's issue beat you to death, you are the owner. << good point i like that
Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

New code came up code # 543, fuel pump secondary circuit fault, what could cause that, could that be the culprit?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:57 AM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

okay i tried everything its extremely weird, like i hit the gas and the car just starts bucking back and fourthlike the engine cuts out than kicks back in and its only when i hit 2-3500 rpms and when i unplug my maf sensor it runs like a dream problem is gone. but as soon as its plugged back in it starts back up again, this was a problem awhile ago and it went away on its own, than a few weeks after it fixed it self i got a fuel pressure gauge and the fuel pressure was at 29psi, i bought a fuel regulator and bumped it up to 40psi what would make my fuel pressure so low before the regulator because im thinking that what ever it is thats my problem now. also if i hit the gas at wide open throttle its fine and the problem isint there, its only under normal driving conditions.

List of things i have already fixed,
Maf sensor
02 sensors
fuel pressure regulator
dizzy cap and rotor
fuel pump
fuel filter
maf sensor wiring harness
i tired a little sea foam
Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 PM
fordlover79
1st Gear Member

have you checked your fuel pump shutoff switch? it could be shorting out and causing the pump to kick on and off?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:34 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

thats what i was maybe thinking good thought, how would i check that?

Quick Reply: Mustang codes= Help!! UPDATE!!!! REpl....