5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help plz!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Gronk72

Default RE: help plz!

Thats not the problem. first check you went the right way with the distibutor when you reset it to baseline. Probably a stupid question bud but where on the timing pointer are you using to set the timing because Ive seen people try to set it up at the circlular window and not at the top edge of the blade like your supposed too.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:39 PM
95ChrdyGt

ya i was wondering that becuase my car is running ****ty, im setting it at the edge. is this sopsed to happen tho, when i have the pout off and i set it where is should be, first of all do i put it back on when its on or should i turn it off then put it back on? Also, when i put it back on and look at the timing with the spout on, it wont be where it was with it off, it will show down in the circular part, is that soposed to happen when you put it back on?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Gronk72

Heres how i've always done it. Set up you timing gun for power and number 1 plug wire signal, fire up the car, lossen off the dizzy holdown about 3/4 turn, pull the spout connector, set yout timing as desired then right away snug down the dizzy holddown. then plug the spout connector back in. You don't have to cycle the ignition unless you really feel like it. The spout is part off the system that allows the computer to automatically retard the the timing so as soon as you have the timing set and plug the spout bake in the timing will return to where the computer wants it.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:38 PM
samsonhusky
2nd Gear Member

you may want to pull the cap off and make sure the rotor is pionting to the #1 plug. not sure but if you pulled the dizz out some and put it back in your rotor may have moved off the #1 plug
Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM
samsonhusky
2nd Gear Member

wait not sure ifthe rotor issuppose to point on the #1 plug when you kill it, but it is suppose to be on the #1 plug at "top dead center"might need to check that, could havegot missed up when you pulled the dizzy out some
Old 07-20-2008, 01:09 AM
silentvoice19
2nd Gear Member

well i had the same problem when i messed with my 92. I know you have a 95 but, if i was you i would try and reset the ecu pull the terminals see if that works if not then restab the dizzy. Worked for me.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:57 AM
95ChrdyGt

hmm, well wut else can be causing this, maybe it just so happend that my injectors or fuel filter or somthing is getting cloged right when i started messing with the distributor? will a shop diagnostic show whats wrong? By unplugging the battery will that reset everything back to normal?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:25 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

a diagnostic show what's wrong??? your car needs to be troubleshot meaning first start with a KOER TEST!!! = SCANS THE CARS ECM FOR CODES or you can DIY KOER.....and if any are relavant to running condition from there a tech will go point to point on that system to narrow down the prob..there is no plug the car into a machine and instantly find the prob
Old 07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
95ChrdyGt

funny thing is, no one has really helped me, no one is saying possibillities. ok, i did everything right ive checked everything ive done all that, so with that said i dont need you guys to ask if ive checked the wires and this and that. no one knows wut it might be? what i could do? if i can reset the computer back to normal? should i just take it to a shop?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:44 PM
95ChrdyGt

Not trying to be a dick, im just getting frustrated and havnt really seem to got any help. im sure somone gonna talk about me being a dick and im not gonna get help o well then, if anyone knows then let me know plz

Quick Reply: help plz!