5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help with ring and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 PM
mysticstriper

Default Need help with ring and pinion

I'm in the middle of a ring and pinion swap and I thought I could get away with just a dial position indicator to set backlash. Does anyone know how to find the correct shim(s) to set pinion bearing depth without using the ford tool that bolts into the bearing caps? I don't have that tool and I'm stuck. If anyone can help me I would Really appreciate it!
Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need help with ring and pinion

I dont know but please consider this a "bump" for your post

The 8.8 is a great and strong rear, there is so much available for them, but I sure do love the 9" in my fox notch, I can easily on my own with a few of the most common tools and some time, swap 3rd members back from my 3.0:1 open to my detroit locker 3.89:1
Old 07-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

You will need a pinion gauge minimum........

Old 08-02-2008, 11:51 PM
RUDEDOG.357

If you are using ford gears ive gotten away with using the original shim. If you are using Richmond gears it always seems to take a different shim.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:00 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

The best way to check pinion depth is with the ford tool. but if one is not handy, you can measure the distance from the top of the outer most shim, to the end of the pinion gear itself on your stock stuff. Then measure your new pinion. subtract Y from X and you now know how much to shim it!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I don't use anything but a dial indicator. I do it the old fashion way with the grease and just look at the wear pattern. don't get me wrongit takes 3x as long and if you don't know what you are looking at you need to get some help.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: uedlose

I don't use anything but a dial indicator. I do it the old fashion way with the grease and just look at the wear pattern. don't get me wrongit takes 3x as long and if you don't know what you are looking at you need to get some help.
eh... 6" vernier calipers are never a bad thing to keep around
Old 08-03-2008, 10:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

The best way to check pinion depth is with the ford tool. but if one is not handy, you can measure the distance from the top of the outer most shim, to the end of the pinion gear itself on your stock stuff. Then measure your new pinion. subtract Y from X and you now know how much to shim it!
That f'ing ford tool is useless...I bought one 800 + dollars [:'(]...and no matter what rear /8.8 I have stuck it in it always shows me to use the same shim but when I run the pattern it is almost always a tad off...like often high heel on coast side and low toe on drive side..I wanna throw that tool against the wall cause it doesn't account for differences in the height of the pinion head and there always is between manufactorers........what I do is have a modified pinion bearing that I can slide on and off and I start with stock shim..usually .020-.027 depending on what stock gears were in it and then with out a crush collar in tighten it down as to remove all end play then set backlash and a dial indicator will be needed once in spec .008 to .012 I run patten and from there you can see where you need to go.......if it looks good remove all install crush and set it litttle by little while measuring turning torque with a dial inch lbs torque wrench..new bearing = 16-29 inch lbs old = 8 -14 inch lbs then set rest of rear back up running pattern and checking spec if it all looks good button it up.....this methood has never failed and no noise result
Old 08-03-2008, 11:01 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: uedlose

eh... 6" vernier calipers are never a bad thing to keep around
LOL. yea and one of them to measure the shims. so I lied
Old 08-03-2008, 12:21 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

You will need a pinion gauge minimum........

Works great..you'll also need a dial caliper(cheap one 20 .00 bucks ) to measure the distance with using the tool..

Quick Reply: Need help with ring and pinion