5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Problem with OEM clutch?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Sata

Default Problem with OEM clutch?

O.K. first off I kinda am a newbie. I replaced my clutch in my 93 GT....it is OEM clutch, and for some reason it wants to pull while I pushed in my clutch? I looked under where the cable connects to the pedal and I don't believe it has another slot for adjustment.....I maybe wrong but I didn't see one. So I went to Auto Zone and bought a new cable, and it is still doing the same thing. I can barley drive it, cause it is not going in gear that good?

What can be the problem? I have the cable hooked up right.
Does the quadrant adjust that the cable sits on?

Please help!!
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 AM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Problem with OEM clutch?

It sounds like you have an aftermarket clutch quadrant. All your problem is it is out of adjustment. You need to get under your car and where the cable hooks to the trans (clutch fork) there should be 2 nuts on the end of the cable. You need to unscrew the nuts abit untill when you let off the clutch it starts to move the car when the pedal is about halfway up.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Sata

No, I have stock quadrant. I bought a non-adjustable cable from Auto Zone yesterday and installed it..did good for about 30 minutes and it broke at the clutch fork. Seems that I might need a firewall adjuster. The OEM one that I bought has no adjustment on it, you have to adjust at the quadrant.....I have the quadrant set at the tooth that has the most slack in the cable, and I broke yet another cable today. The piece at the clutch fork is made out of plastic and it breaks where it is being held at the fork?

Why didn't factory cable ever break.......why the brand new one? It is made from same material as Auto Zone one.......makes no since?
I think I am going to try an new adjusting cable this time...I think they are made from metal!!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

make sure that the throw out bearing is not hanging up on the input shaft retainer on the tranny... if the retainer is worn to the point it'll allow the TB to tilt and bind.. it'll snap cable after cable..... also stock cable is adjusted viareleasing tension manually on self adjusting quadrant by lifting up on prawl then after tension is released adjustment can be set by pulling up on clutch pedal until all slack is removed
Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Sata

I don't understand why didn't the factory cable never broke....When I replaced the clutch the TB it was pretty much torn apart. I also got it on the teeth with the most slack??

I think that my factory quadrant teeth are worn off and when I put it on the slackest part, it moves back tight and then it snaps??
Might need a new quadrant??