5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 PM
jasonr
1st Gear Member

Default intake manifold

alright so here is the deal i needed to change my valve cover gaskets and so i pulled out my upper intakemanifold to get off the rockers. i changed the valve covers and the gasket that sits between the upper intake and the lower one. now i figured out where everything goes except for one cable.

there are two cables coming out of the front of the intake manifold, one is something like a fuel pressure something and the other loops around the back, i dont know where this connects to. it does not connect to the part where the power brakes goes. the steering connection comes from the back of the intake manifold.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 AM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: intake manifold

I dont know of any cables comming off the manifold. The only cables there are are the 2 throttle cables comming off the throttle body. One goes to the cruise control in the driver side fender and one goes to the foot pedal.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

got pics of it?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
jasonr
1st Gear Member

I am out of town at the moment, but i found this picture:

its number two in the picture, in my case it connects to number 3 and loops all the way around, it has a one way valve attached to it. when i tried turning on the engine it made a sucking noise.

on a sidenote, the engine starts smoking out of the valve cover gaskets in about thirty seconds. i know that the rocker arms have been completely sealed so there must be a lot of pressure. could this be because of this hose not being connected?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

It is a factory T. Both provide vacuum. It is split to keep the oil vapors from all going to the same intake port.
It hooks to the PCV valve in the lower intake in the center.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM
jasonr
1st Gear Member

actually im not sure if it is connected to a nut like #3,but just loops all the way around and has a hook it goes through at the back of the manifold. im pretty sure its not part of the vacuum tree as that is already full and the only component it got from the manifold was the power steering cable from the back. the brake booster comes directly from an area close to the brake fluid
Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
jasonr
1st Gear Member

ok i figured it out!
it is the PCV like stated. now is there a filter i should change or would fixing it up just be ok?
also, would this be the cause of the smoke? i.e. this connection not being fixed?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:52 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

allelse fails ask on here
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 PM
jasonr
1st Gear Member

ok, put the pvc pipe on. still seing smoke coming out from the side of the rockers. =(
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Did you replace the PVC valve while you were doing that?Also you may just have some oil around there that just needs to be burned off or cleaned off from when you took the old gasket out.

Quick Reply: intake manifold