5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fresh motor install HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 05:30 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Default fresh motor install HELP??

ok just got done hooking everthing up to start my motor. a rebuild 306 with 1500 miles, ok so i went to try and turn over and nothing happened, not a beep or selonid clicking or anything. so just for curiosity i jump the seloniod and it turned over. i get a little fire but no start. but sometimes it will start idle up then die. and if you try to give it gas its just like ur sufficating it then it dies any info would be great
Old 08-09-2008, 08:37 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: fresh motor install HELP??

alright some more info to help,car powers upeverything on as far as the dash put no turnover. the car was an original 5 speed then converted to auto and iv converted back to 5-speed. all hook ups were still in place except pedals tore the steering column out to change. before i started the motor tranny swap car was running. everything motor wise is hooked up but theres one vac line i cant find were it goes, a long black one from the back of the intake, i have another intake and the line is blocked off on that one so i dont think it would make it not start. so now when i turn the car over with selonid it fires runs for a second the dies. i thought maybe the dizzy cap was crack cause the motor install so i put on my spare and still nothing.in lost and need help
Old 08-09-2008, 09:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you 'll need a test light to check to see if the ignition switch lead on the selonoid has power in crank mode
Old 08-09-2008, 09:40 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

If you converted it the nuteral safty switch from the pedal to the aut shifter need to be changed, back to what they were.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:18 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

the neutral switch was never changed he didnt get finished with the swap before i got the car thank god cause he had no clue what he was doing at all. Mjr46 im going ou to get a tester to see if it has power, when the motor starts for a second then dies it sounds like its poping threw the intake kinda like a backfire
Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

was anything like timing messed with on the car?? also were spark plug wires removed?? if so make sure firing order is correct
Old 08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

no nothing was messed with, two times now its started for like 5 or so seconds, it ran smooth and good when it did, then it seems to bog down and die doesnt help when you go to give it gas either. when i parked it before the motor swap it wouldnt start, i thought becauseof the incline on my driveway cause it was about bone dry on gas and when i sprayed a little srarting fluid in the old motor it would start but you would have to keep sparaying the starting fluid to keep it going. and as for the no crank i got a buddy coming with a vott tester now. it does start every time but dies right after, the wires are in correct firing order, could it be the wires themselves, iv changed the plugs already to autolights
Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if it'll run off starting fluid and when you stop spraying it , it 'll die...sounds like a fuel issue like fuel pump or something fuel related
Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

that was with the other motor i havnt tried it yet with this one but im going to the part store to get some starting fluid in a little bit, the fuel pump comes one it sounds strong but you never know i dont know how to test the pressure but the valve on the fuel line seems to spray good when i release the pressure. but ill post more when i c if itll start with the fluid
Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you'd need a pressure gauge to hook onto the schredor valve on the fuel rail to get an accurate reading

Quick Reply: fresh motor install HELP??