5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

if i dident have bad luck......... blown head gasket maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:35 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Unhappy if i dident have bad luck......... blown head gasket maybe?

ok, well just got done with my nitrous install, ran a 75 shot, felt good, bumped it up to 100shot, only had 3lbs in the bottle, so only got one good run out of it.

next day the car is idling funny, thought it was the low timing set for the nitrous, and went on my marry lil way, well not even 1-2miles from my place, i got caught at 3 lights in a row, i look down at my temp needle, and its one line above normal, and one line below over heating :O

so i take the car back home and pop the hood, my clutch fan is barley blowing any air, so i call my buddy up that has a electric fan.

well he tells me it sound more like a blown head gasket.

i go out to the car, fire it up, and rev it to about 3k rpm while looking in the coolent resivor, and sure enough i get 3-4 bubbles come up............

wheather has been horrible all day, so i havent been out there to check it, im at work now, had to drive my truck.

what else can i check for a blown head gasket ?

ive never done any major engine work, is it possible for me to do this myself?

what tools will i need?

also i need a "high performance" gasket, as ill be spraying the car, so ive been told to use a all metal gasket.

advice would be great, as im out of ideas, and pretty burned out to be honest
Old 08-16-2008, 05:36 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

use felpro 1011-1 gaskets

Check your oil for any coolant, or a milky look to it. thats the first sign, and a dead giveaway!

if your clutch fan wasnt working right, I wouldnt tear into the engine just yet. The clutch fans on the foxes are a thermal design, grab hold of the fan while the car is not running, and hasnt been run, and give it a spin. It should go around about one time before stopping. If the fan just completely free-wheels, there is a good possibility that its done for.

Check your coolant level and see if its low. If it is, and there is no coolant in the oil, remove all 8 spark plugs and crank the engine over, while watching for coolant to come spraying out of one or more of the cylinders. This is important, b/c if you have coolant in a cylinder, you can hydro-lock the engine and cause all kinds of cool problems!

If nothing comes out, you may have dodged a bullet! Put all 8 plugs back in and fire the car up, let it idle for about 15 minutes to reach temp (with the hood closed).

Shut the car down and try to spin the fan again. There should be a noticable amount of resistance to it. If it freely spins... replace the clutch!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

adder is right. the first thing you should have checked was the fan if its not blowing much air at all that will get your to over heat pretty easy, and if its basically free wheelin it will make the engine feel like its idling like ****...been there done that the clutch actually had enough and blow apart and through my radiator
Old 08-16-2008, 04:42 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

wow, that must have sucked!

well we havent had much rain at all this hole summer, and its been raining non-stop for the last 2days, and its not sapposed to stop untill monday.......

im waiting for a quick window to get you there and check.

id be happy for it only to be the fan, as breaking down the engine is good for the long term, but i wasent planing on freshing my gaskets untill i swap in the new tranny in the summer.
tko500 + all new gaskets + 150shot = fun vert

well thats the plan so far its not working out
Old 08-16-2008, 04:52 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

you could pressurize the cooling system as well, it'll bleed off if there is a bad headgasket, make sure to buy new head bolts when you tear it down
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

ok, here are some "results" i guess you could call them.

ran out there real quick, opend the hood, and spun the fan, havent started the car in 2 1/2 days, fan spun 3/4 of the way, or one full spin, and stoped.......
same thing happend after i got it up to normal temps
*scratch's head*

ok, next i just did a walk around with the car running, no aparent smoke, or nothing.

checked the oil, normal oil, nothing looking abnormal.

checked the oil filler cap, as ive been told if there was water in the oil, the steam from the water would make a white film around the oil filler cap....... nothing......

it was very cold out, 45or so degrees, and freezing rain, so the car stayed at normal temps even though i gave it plenty time.

one thing i did notice is this.

these are pictures of the drives side lower intake manafold where it meets the block, and head, also the water pump.

its pooled coolent there for a while, only ever sence i chenged the thermostat, so i never really thought of it.

but if you look really close, the edge of the lower intake manifold looks like its missing a chunk of gasket.

i felt under there, and it seems alright, started the car, and gave it some rev's dident feel any sort of "vacuum" sucking air into that part.

so im really really lost now!

adder, as soon as i can do the test where i take out the spark plug's i will. but its started pouring again, and my girlfriend wont be home for a couple hours to help me with that one.

any more ideas?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:54 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

also, the timing is set at 8* for the nitrous, i know this is dumb, but low timing wouldent cause over heating would it?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:04 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

looks like you blew an intake gasket
Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

hey man,

are you using a wet system?

Id take more preventive measures to prevent detonation.

Colder Range Plugs

93 octane

Lower Degree Stat

Sea Foam to clean the carbon inside the motor

Check Fuel Delivery and A/F Ratio.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:02 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aode08
hey man,

are you using a wet system?

Id take more preventive measures to prevent detonation.

Colder Range Plugs

93 octane

Lower Degree Stat

Sea Foam to clean the carbon inside the motor

Check Fuel Delivery and A/F Ratio.

yes it's a wet system

2step colder plugs

91 octane (best we got next to race gas at this 5500ft elevation)

running 8* right now

was sea foamed about 2mths ago

a/f was perfect on the dyno 3mths ago

kthxbai!

Quick Reply: if i dident have bad luck......... blown head gasket maybe?