5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

aod questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:45 PM
electric red gt

Default aod questions

i have a 93 gt with 57,000 orginal on it. one day i was going to tach. it out and went into od at wide open throttle and i guess smoked the clutches. now when i go to od its like i'm in neutral, and when i down shift from drive to 2nd it not there either until 1st grabs. it had a trans-go shift kit, and I love the auto. i still drive the car and upshifting it still runs great and hits every gear like it did other than the od, so my question is: what do you guys think i done, should i try to fix the stock aod, or save up on a aftermarket aod built better. if so on the aftermarket aod what would you recommend, brand, type, etc. my car is a street/strip.
flowmaster catback, bbk h-pipe, mac shorty headers, 373 gear, electric fan, underdrive pulleys, cold air intake, 76mm mas, 24# injectors, 70mm tb, tf track heat intake, twisted wedge heads, casper electronic thorttle enhancer, msd 6al ignitions. power adders in the future
thanks for any info.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:34 PM
flcrkr9

You found the weak link in the AOD, the overdrive band. The AOD came stock with a 1-1/2" overdrive band, and all 5.0 mustangs came with a "B" overdrive servo. Works ok with the stock motor, but once you start modifying the engine, the AOD needs to be beefed up too. Most good aftermarket performance AODs, use the later model 4R70W heavy duty overdrive band (it's a 2" band), but you must also use the 4R70W drum to match. This along with an A or A+ servo, will allow you to shift into OD at full throttle. This is a big improvement over stock. Depending on funds, you can go with a lentech AOD, but expect to pay well over 2k for one. Broader Performance also builds a good AOD for less than 2K. You need to shop around and gather information. I've purchased a couple of different ones off of the internet, with mixed reviews. I bought one off of ebay for $795, with all the goodies listed above, along with the 4R70W low gear set, and it only lasted 4 months. It had a 12 month warranty, but the shop went out of business. I bought a second one from a local shop that advertised on ebay, but since they were local, I was able to personally speak with the builder and tell him what parts and mods I wanted done. I paid $695 for that one (I had a core and didn't have to pay shipping), and it has Alto Red Eagle clutches, Kolene steels, a Superior A+ servo and a kevlar OD band. After 6 months, it has performed flawlessly behind a modded 358W in a 4X4, with 35" mud terrains, and gets the crap run out of it. In a nutshell, be informed and do your homework before making a decision.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

building a gooood AOD could be pricey depending upon what you want done. For now it seems like you could just put in a kevlar OD band and be fine until you save more money. But if you're loaded, you could have one built. I was going to build one, but I found one with more than I could afford to do to the one I was going to build myself, for cheaper so I just bought one.

For A+ servo, transgo reprogramming kit, alto clutches, kevlar bands, stamped steel drum and mech. diode, new bushings, and the spiral lock ring seals filter and crap it was about 750 bucks, thats w/o hardened input shaft (about 200), w/o converter. (what? 350?) and this is with me doing it myself mind you, no labor.

You might be better off to get a bauman TCS valve body controller and a 4r70W. TCS is abouy 400 and you can find a 4r70w for a few hundo, just food for thought.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i got an aode that im going to sell when i swap to stick soon... its a built aode
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 PM
electric red gt

thanks for the feedback guys. I really lost on the aod, I've tried to understand everything but I just can't seem to get it. the aode is very tempting to me. I just want a auto that shifts firm, and lets me hit od at wide open throttle if needed. I'm not loaded, but if so i will take a loan to get something if its going to last. Its drive-able right now around town and short trips, until i can get something better.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

pm or email me and i will give you my phone # and u can call me, i will give you the whole run down.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:12 AM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

if your willing to do the work urself. just replace the OD band, put in a stall, and a one piece input shaft and ull love that AOD. Thats like a $600-$700 job down here and most of that is labor.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 AM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 93stallion302
if your willing to do the work urself. just replace the OD band, put in a stall, and a one piece input shaft and ull love that AOD. Thats like a $600-$700 job down here and most of that is labor.
Not to steal the thread, but that's what I'm going to do, but I'm replacing all of the clutches too. I already bought the 1 piece input shaft and matching 3300 stall Redneck converter. I also bought a Baumann shift kit. I bought a 88 AOD on ebay for $50 (it was 2 miles from my house), supposedly in working condition out of a wrecked mustang that I am going to build. I'll pull my stock AOD and keep it in the shop (it works perfectly). I still don't know if I'm going to swap from the cast drum, to a stamped steel drum and a 2" OD band at this point, but I'm leaning towards doing this also. It would be a shame to do all of this, and still have the 1-1/2" OD band?.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 PM
electric red gt

cool I believe thats the route im going to take. appreicate you guys
Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

the 93 gt came with an aode..ist electronic controlled

Quick Reply: aod questions