5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help requried immediately. Valve spring replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Default Help requried immediately. Valve spring replacement.

Hey guys, just started with replacing the valve springs, got the passenger side valve cover off and the exhaust rocker off the first cylinder. I am having problems getting the keeper off the valve spring. I have a 100 psi air compressor I was going to use for the job so I will work with that. If anyone has an article or any advice please let me know. I want to get the car drivable by tomorrow but I have to replace the pushrods, valve springs, timing gear and camshaft today. Need help immediately, I will keep checking back. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

This keepers can be a real pain in the neck. After a lot of miles, they seem to get glued in there with varnish. These two simple tricks have worked for me in the past.

1. Spray the keepers with Easy Off oven cleaner. Let them sit for a while. That will eat through the varnish a bit.

2. Get a big rubber mallet, and whack the edge of the valve retainer a few times. That will break the hold on the keepers with damaging anything.

As for getting all that done today, I wouldn't count on it. I have swapped cams with the engine in the car. But it took me two days to do it. 5-6 hours to get the old cam out. And 7-8 hours to get everything back together again. And that was just a cam swap; that didn't include valve springs.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help. I have the keeper free now but the compression tool I have. I guess I'll just get the springs and push rods done today hopefully then move on to the camshaft and timing gear tomorrow if I have time. Does anyone have any advice on how to put the camshaft in without taking the engine out? What parts need to be removed? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you'll have to loosen the pan drop it down a tad , remove timing cover and lower intake manifold and remove lifters and remove radiator, these are the main things to do
Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Remove, Upper/Lower Intake.

Remove Bolts for pushrod rockers, remove pushrods.

Remove Bolts For spider holder for lifters.

Remove lifters noting the order they came, unless your getting new ones(good ideah), soak them in tranny oil or motor oil(clean).

Remove radiator, Belt, Fan.

Loosen oil pan bolts to allow the oil pan to drop a lil.

Remove Crankshaft Dampner Bolt(long pipe might be needed, or you but your breaker bar against frame, move yourself and bump the starter.)

Use a PULLER to remove the dampner.

Remove Timing Cover, chain and sprockets

Change All Fluids. Reverse Removal and Change the Timing cover front seal.