5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

In the market for heads but which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:57 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Cool In the market for heads but which ones?

My mods are in the seg. i plan on getting a supercharger after the heads so keep that in mind i want my car to move and i mean move so whats a good head for my setup? also what cam? i plan on throwing forged internals way later do they make 302 forged internals ones that i can throw right in? thanks for your time.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:19 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

If you are going to replace all of the rotating assy. then why not go 347.

If you are looking for a head/cam package, are you willing to go custom cam?

Define your REAL goals:
Track ET?
Street build?
??????????

jason
Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 AM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

I dont really have the money for it, i will if they dont make a forged internal kit that i can just throw in as the motor is now, and it's setup for street. i want what ever will bring the best performance to the car with the setup i already have i want it to be high horsepower

i dont want to have to get my block bored out dont have the money do they make a kit that will go right in? how much is block boring

Last edited by kennebellgt; 09-20-2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: add on
Old 09-20-2008, 09:42 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Price out the forged 302 rotating assy. and compare it to the price of a forged 347 rotating assy.
You will likely decide that the minimal added expense for the 347 will be worth it.

Regardless of what rotating kit you will go with, you will want to take the block to a reputtable machine shop for bore hone, square decked, and have the mains align honed.
IF the bores are still in good shape, they may not need to be bored larger. But don't plan on this.

It sounds like you have a tight budget. What is it, and what do you need to get for it?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:59 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Yeah either way you can't just "drop it in" it has to be checked bored and honed by a machine shop. And also on my car I had my stock head ported and polished and they flow better than aftermarket heads, so do your hw there. The question you need to ask yourself though is if you just do heads/cam/supercharger chasing the big numbers your after, when you spin a bearing or break a rod and have to take care of that, was it really worth the mess when you could just build it right now?

Last edited by EagleStroker; 09-20-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

The Edelbrock RPM 6022 heads worked great for me with a 302, Vortech T-trim...10.51@132+ with 3.55's & Tremec 3550
Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

well im only making 12$ an hour, i am an electrician so big bucks are on the way but not at this time, i would really love a 347 yeah and i was thinking maybe i should work my way from the internals out cause i wouldn't want to have to tear it all back down again if you catch what i am saying, how much power will i gain just off throwing a 347 stroker kit in as the car is now, without heads, cam or supercharger or anything else just off what i currently have? thanks you guys for all your help
Old 09-20-2008, 02:30 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
Yeah either way you can't just "drop it in" it has to be checked bored and honed by a machine shop. And also on my car I had my stock head ported and polished and they flow better than aftermarket heads, so do your hw there. The question you need to ask yourself though is if you just do heads/cam/supercharger chasing the big numbers your after, when you spin a bearing or break a rod and have to take care of that, was it really worth the mess when you could just build it right now?
stock heads that flow better than aftermarket? you mean some aftermarket POS ones
Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Suggestion..... you can take the project in phases. Start by investing in a good rotating assy. (second the 347 choice), setup the short block, use it with what you have (heads/cam) and continue saving for a good set of heads (TFS 190 as cast, Canfield 195, etc) and the correct cam/valve train setup, etc......... or, make a plan, determine the price tag, save, and do it all at once after you save the money.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:24 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

joel, yeah thats what im thinking how much power will i gain just off the 347 stroker kit?

Quick Reply: In the market for heads but which ones?