5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car bucking/breaking up and revving itself

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Some of the early fuel injection systems would "hunt" for an idle when they were low on coolant, they were dependant on coolant temp. That'd be the first thing I check.
As for the scraping noise from the pass side.... thats a weird one......does it come from the front or the back of the motor?
-P.
PS: As you were saying that it would do it over bumps, look for loose or worn out electrical connections, corrosion on the terminal leads, etc.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ahh, didnt see the bypass part.
well, still the same theory applies to all the bearings.
with just the right amount of grease left in them, any bearing can make a squeal/squeak when the RPM of that bearing has suddenly changed.
alternator would be my next culprit of choice.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:29 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Aight, it ran better today. It only gave me a bit of trouble in the morning, but seemed okay after that. I'm wonderin, if my TPS is poopin the bed, will it be tempermental and work sometimes and not work other times?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:40 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yes that is possible. you'll need an oscilliscope to be able to definitively diagnose.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

^^Alright well it started doin it again today so ima pick up a new tps tmrw. Is it a plug and play thing to install em or do I gotta put it on and set it up?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:00 PM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

Hey, before you buy anything check something on your ecu first. The SAME EXACT thing happened to me, and I couldn't figure it out since every time i tried to check it the code wouldn't show anything until it idle'd weird, then it would stop the high rev and no code output would be incorrect. CHeck to make sure your ECU is grounded properly, and securely tight. Mine was a little loose and cause it to be problematic since all the information would not relay to the correct circuits since it wasn't being thoroughly connected. That fixed it for me and I had the same exact issue. At least from what details you've described.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

^^Hmm. Wheres the ecu located and how can I check to see if it's grounded and all? I'm assuming it'll be fairly obvious once I know where its at. lol Did yours go from running great to running like **** then great, etc?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

I don't get it. I hate cars. lol I go out in the garage, haynes shop manual in hand, open it enough to get the exhaust out, and fire it up. I go over everything on the motor and she just idles and purrs like nothin. Of course now i'll feel better and go to drive a few days from now and she'll start buckin all over again. Is it normal for cars to run different without the smog pumps? I'm ready to just go buy another smog pump, throw it in and see if the car runs like it used to. lol
Old 09-28-2008, 07:01 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Okay. Well I just picked up a new tps. I haven't pulled the old one yet cause I DONT have a voltometer. I was reading old post though and read that these efi systems will get a base reading from the tps when the car starts based on a closed throttle anyway so do I need a voltometer or can I just pop the old on off and put a new one on?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:03 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

OMG!!! I just replaced the TPS and WOW!!! The car has never ran this good since I owned it. It runs like a brand new car. Before, I would start it cold, and it would revv to about 2k, and instead of settling down to idle like most cars, it would hold 2k for about 2sec, and instantly fall to 500 rpms. Then it would surge between 500-900. Once and a while it would kinda idle somewhere around 900 but not smoothly. It did that since the day we got it. As soon as i got the new tps on, I started it, and it wasn't completely cold so it went to 1500, and slow settled down to 900. Then I reached over and flipped on the a/c. Typically this would lead to the idle getting worse, and the car stalling. Now when I did it the idle just raised a bit, and settled. At this point i'm losing it. I CAN USE MY AIR CONDITIONING! Then I backed out of the garage, and what do you know? Throttle response! Before I would have to slowly ease onto the throttle and it would kinda hesitate then revv. Now it just slowly revved as I gave it throttle. I drove it around the neighborhood and it drove like a new car. All the problems i've ever had with this cars running was because of that little piece. Best $35 I ever spent. I hit bumps and my car didn't try to rev anymore!

Quick Reply: Car bucking/breaking up and revving itself