5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fox body auto-x suspension setup question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
aurdraco

Default fox body auto-x suspension setup question

Alright, this question is for the fox-body auto-x'ing suspension gurus...If Matt Miller, Terry Fair, 3FoxesRon, Kent Kroll, or Brian Matteuci are on this board, please respond. You'll quickly figure out who this newb is

Has anyone ever heard of anyone attempting to run the following setup: global west trak-link, panhard rod, removed upper rear control arms (or just one removed)?

In all my years of auto-x'ing fox bodies (started in '92, got spanked at Nats in 94 and 95 in ESP, been out of it for quite some time now and just getting back into it), I'm not sure anyone has ever tried this on a mustang (and I've crawled under alot of mustangs at auto-x's and Texas World Speedway over the years). Normally when you can't find anyone recommending a setup, it means people tried it and it sucked. However, there are absolutely no references I could find to this idea. I think this is because the trak-link is sold by Global West who, afaik, don't make panhard rods.

The trak-link is kinda like a torque arm, so why wouldn't it work? In fact, why wouldn't it work better? With a regular TA/PR setup, you have to jack up the rear spring rates to get the car to turn. Would you have to with a trak-link/PR?

I already have a trak-link on the car, bought and installed a long time ago. I'd have to say that by itself it helps a bit with launching (1.92 60' at HRP back in the day on 215/60-16s, treadware 540, 12.9@107) and punching it in second (no spin on good street tires on a good road), but I don't think it helps much during an auto-x because of all the stock control arm bind. Heck, it probably introduces more bind when cornering, hence why I want to ditch the upper control arms and test it out.

For those who want to suggest that I switch to a regular torque arm setup, I've seen plenty of those and never have been uber impressed. Yes, they are better than stock, but I have friends who have had that setup (including previous Solo II FS or ESP trophy holders) who ended up hating it. If it didn't cause axle hop under braking, then you weren't going fast enough and braking hard enough, from what I saw.

Anyhow, thoughts? Thanks in advance.