5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1995 cobra power window help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:13 PM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

Default 1995 cobra power window help

The drivers side window motor on my 95 cobra quit working. The motor is good as I can use jumper wires directly from the battery and it will go up or down depending on which wire I connect the positive or negative lead. I replaced the switch with a known good switch but it still doesn't work. Is there some kind of relay or something that changes the polarity of the wires depending on which way the switch is pressed? My haynes manual only states that the wires change polarity for the direction of the window, up or down, but it doesn't say HOW it changes polarity. I don't know if I have a broken wire somewhere in the harness or if something else is wrong. The passenger side window works from both the passenger door and the drivers door control so it has to be something specific to the drivers side.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:30 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Do you have access to a schematic? Are your grounds good?

Now on a side note. YOUR SIG IS TOO LARGE. Please change it to comply w/ our allowable size of 250x500. Thanks
Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

There's a wiring diagram in the haynes manual but it doesn't show any kind of relays or anything but it's not the greatest wiring schematic I've ever seen. I have to assume the ground is good since the passenger window works from the drivers door switch also. Maybe the drivers side window motor has a seperate ground from the pass. side?
I'm still trying to get my head around how the wires change polarity, in one position of the switch wire #1 is hot and wire #2 is ground, and in the other switch position it's opposite
Old 10-11-2008, 08:29 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the window and door locks use what is called a 5-wire system where the switches (labeled master and slave)do all the work of reversing the polarity to move the motors in the required direction. The advantage to this system is less parts(relays) for them to supply the bad point is that if ANY wire in the sequence looses contact you will loose some or all power in one of the switches.

I assume that the window did not move with either the drivers side nor the passenger side right? If that is the case with the motor still working the way you described I would start to look at the drivers side switches. That switch is the master switch which means if it goes bad the slave switch(passenger side) would loose power as well. If the passenger side switch was bad it would still work from the drivers side. Check for voltage on the back of it and see what you find.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:57 AM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

The passenger side window would not work with the passenger side switch, BUT the passenger side window would work with the drivers side switch for the pass. window. I lived with that, no problem. When the drivers side window quit working (in the down position) I had to do something about it. I got another switch for the passenger side door and now it works and it still works with the drivers side switch to the passenger window. I changed switches from the known good switch for the passenger window to the drivers side window but the drivers side still won't work.
It's hard to explain without getting confusing but bottom line, the drivers side window will not work even with a known good switch and the motor will work using jumper wires directly from the battery.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:21 AM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

I bet you have broken wires in the harness where the wire harness leaves the body of the car and goes into the driver sude door. Picture this, take a wire and bend it back and forth. After a while it will break. Guss which door gets opened and closed the most causing this issue? Been there done it. Open up your harness right there and I bet you find bad wires.

Joe
Old 10-12-2008, 07:47 PM
d_ford
2nd Gear Member

That's what I was afraid of. I'm just concerned that if a wire is broken inside but the sheathing is still good I won't be able to find it. I don't suppose you know which colored wires in that harness control the drivers window do ya?