5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tips for installing seat covers

Old 10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Tips for installing seat covers

Pretty soon i will be getting seat covers to replace my torn leather. its vinyl but will match the saddle interior. Are there any tips anyone has for me? or some tools, i will need, or even any write ups on the topic? thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

your going to need to get a Hog ring pliars, as well as alot alot of hog rings... Cj pony parts sell them, LMR sells them... you'll need it

a pair of wire snips to cut the old rings off...

mark and document each and every bolt, and there was a write up I had saved to my favorites, but my laptop crashed so I lost it...

also document where the hog rings are, you need tto install the new ones in the same exact spot, cuz otherwise, it wont look right. a sharpie helps mark their location

a tear in the foam can be repaired with craft foam and a staple gun,

and when you go to do it, let the vinyl set out in the sun for a few hours to soften it up, will make the install a hell of alot easier...

dont rip and tear the old material off, remove it by clipping the old rings, so you can
document the removal so install will be cake, also there are rods n stuff in the fabric you'll need to reuse,

and lastly, DONT RUSH!!!! take your time and go slow, the material may want to fight you at times, if it does, walk away from it for a while, grab a beer, watch some TV. and make sure your hands are clean.

the slower you go the better it will look... and the wrinkles will come out in about a week, maybe a lil longer cuz its cooler out now... the more you sit in the car the more the material will stretch etc...
Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

thanks, that answered alot of questions. i remeber you posting about doing yours, how long did it take you?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

How much those cost? I was going to buy some of the Procars off Summit for $300, cause Ive seen them in person and theyre nice, but if new covers are that much cheaper, who knows
Old 10-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stella94GT
thanks, that answered alot of questions. i remeber you posting about doing yours, how long did it take you?
I did them over the course of a week, but I was working two jobs, and driving the car with the seats out while I was doing it...

I'd say in total, prolly took me 10-14 hours to do the fronts and the rear, but a fox seat is a lil more involved, cuz the knee support is seperate and stuff...

but I knocked out the driver seat, from removal, stripping the seat and re install over the course of the 4th of july and the 5th of july... I remember starting it that night after getting out of work, steam cleaning the carpet cuz it was nasty, and then finishing it up that saturday morning and then driving it to the bank to deposit my paycheck... lol
Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
your going to need to get a Hog ring pliars, as well as alot alot of hog rings... Cj pony parts sell them, LMR sells them... you'll need it

a pair of wire snips to cut the old rings off...

mark and document each and every bolt, and there was a write up I had saved to my favorites, but my laptop crashed so I lost it...

also document where the hog rings are, you need tto install the new ones in the same exact spot, cuz otherwise, it wont look right. a sharpie helps mark their location

a tear in the foam can be repaired with craft foam and a staple gun,

and when you go to do it, let the vinyl set out in the sun for a few hours to soften it up, will make the install a hell of alot easier...

dont rip and tear the old material off, remove it by clipping the old rings, so you can
document the removal so install will be cake, also there are rods n stuff in the fabric you'll need to reuse
Ok, who named these things?! Hog rings and hog ring pliars?

I'm not trying to jack the thread, just clarify, because I'm looking to do this sooner rather than later too, and some of this sounds so weird. It caught my attention.

I was just going to recover the main body of the front seats minus the headrest and knee support, because they are not worn or discolored at all. Also wanted to do the rear seat backs, because they are faded from the sun blasting through the hatch. I wanted to keep the fabric covering. I am assuming the "hog" rings (LOL) attach the frame to the fabric, right? I would guess the front seat backs come inside out, and you just work them down over the seat frame like a... well, like a condom, right? I would guess you hog ring them as you pull them down? I would guess that the seat bottoms are pretty straight forward, and ringed from the bottom, right? Are there any shockers or confusing stuff about the install, or is it just really time-consuming? Oh yeah, is there any sewing to be done?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

I feel kinda weird bumping this because it's not even my thread!