5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil Pan Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Pan Part 2

Well Vfast and MD I got theoil pan unstuck finally phewwwww it was work. This is what I had to do. I tried the paint scraper thing and it didnt work, at first. So then it came to me to use a razor utitlity knife and cut into the old very stuck gasket. I cut into it in a corner of the pan until it made a good clearance between the pan and the block so in other words I cut away at the gasket. Then very carefully I tapped aflathead screwdriver in the groove and tapped at it until it started to move the pan. Then very carefully I pryed it or leveraged it so that it would seperate the pan from the block and when I had enough space I put my fingers in between and pulled it down. Wooo Hoooo!!! Man this car has never been touched cuz everything is just so stuck together!!!! Now my next dilema: I can't remove the pan from the tight space, do I need to move the steering gear for more clearance?? And if so how??? I already unbolted the oil pump so I just need the pan out
Old 10-30-2003, 02:09 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default Oil Pan Part 2

you need to jack the engine up by unbolting the mounts..this is a good time to replace them if you see any cracks...
unbolt the mounts..use a block of wood or eqv. to hold it up while you make the change..also a good time the paint you pan.
use a good cleaner to clean inside pan. buy the best pan gasket set you can find..some use silicone... I would buy a new pick up
Old 10-30-2003, 02:11 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default Oil Pan Part 2

dont forget a new pump drive rod too, cheep insurance
Old 10-30-2003, 02:13 PM
89muscle
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Pan Part 2

make sure you get the hardened oil pump drive shaft.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Pan Part 2

Ok guys, VFast I have lifted it already and will change uot the mounts cuz they are all cracked, but I still dont have the clearance to remove the pan. I will repaint it and clean it good when it is off, and get the best gasket. (New Pick up?) what that? MD and 89 I'll be sure to get a new rod or driveshaft, it looks like it is in good condtion but better safe than sorry. And guys as far as reoving the pan what can I do, I lifted up the engine as much as it will allow I mean its almost hitting the firewall, The only thing I can see to do is move the Steering gear, but how do I do that? <edited><editID>Muscles</editID><editDate>37924.697349537</editDate></edited>
Old 10-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Pan Part 2

Also should I change the Seals?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:22 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Pan Part 2

Originally Posted by Muscles
Ok guys, VFast I have lifted it already and will change uot the mounts cuz they are all cracked, but I still dont have the clearance to remove the pan. I will repaint it and clean it good when it is off, and get the best gasket. (New Pick up?) what that? MD and 89 I'll be sure to get a new rod or driveshaft, it looks like it is in good condtion but better safe than sorry. And guys as far as reoving the pan what can I do, I lifted up the engine as much as it will allow I mean its almost hitting the firewall, The only thing I can see to do is move the Steering gear, but how do I do that?
</P>

Please guys respond.....I wanna finsh this stupid oil pump by tonight, or by the weekend at the most......Thank you guys, Im indebted to you guys!</P>
Old 10-30-2003, 07:40 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default Oil Pan Part 2

1) disconnect battery.
2) undo engine mounts at engine side.
3) disconnect the steering shaft to rack connection.
4) undo the steering rack mounts to k-member.
5) lift engine by putting a block of wood under the pan.

6) put 2x4s at the top of each engine mount to support the motor at its new height so you can get the pan off and maneuver your way inside.

That's about it for getting the motor up and secure.

The rest of the job is pretty much blind.

Be very care full to get the motor SECURE as when I had my arm in the pan all I could think of was if this motor falls the block and pan will probably pinch my arm off!
Old 10-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Pan Part 2

Thanks VFast, the rack connection is the thing above the rack and pinion box right? And then I move the steering gear dowon out of the way and out comes the oil pan?? Good. I hope to finsish tonight!! Thanks Guy!
Old 10-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Pan Part 2

Doing the oil pump is harder work than I thought</P>

</P>

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Part 2