5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Miss Fire, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

hey MJR... i did a Resistance test on my HEGO ground wire and it came back .024 had hte multer meter on 2k or 20k i forget... but think that can cuase somthing like im describing?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Night Terror
hey MJR... i did a Resistance test on my HEGO ground wire and it came back .024 had hte multer meter on 2k or 20k i forget... but think that can cuase somthing like im describing?
you'd have to hook it in series meaning disconnect the ecm and probe from that end with one prob and the other end to the ground connection and see what the meter reads for an accurate resistance test
Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if what you have is infact a misfire ....in such a case where you have replaced everything ignition related and it has done it with two seperate motors, the first thing I'd do as a tech would be hook a portable lab scope up to the ignition system/occiliscope and watch the parade patterns of each individual cylinder and the firing voltages/kv to determine on which cylinder/s the misfire occurs so I could focus the diagnosis on that, if it is a random misfire = occurs on different cylinders randomly, could be a stator in the dizzy, cap or rotor or a coil, if it is centralized on one specific cylinder focus on an injector, plug, wire or internal issue on that cylinder, but see is how it has done that on two seperat motors the likely hood of that being the cause is low........sometimes on probs a such you gotta break down and pay the proper person with the right equipment to view where the prob is
Old 10-26-2008, 02:40 AM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

i was afriad that was the case...

my neighbor did do a test where he grounded a probe to the neg battery terminal... and went 1 by 1 on the distributer stabbing each wire on the cap... and when he stabbed cyl 2 (this was old motor) the motor ran smooth not rough... what does that usually mean?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

could be a bad connection on that wire, make sure the prongs inside that wire clamp/ snap on good to cap
Old 10-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

Gotcha, tomorrow should be nice ill do some snooping around under the hood.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

hey i was just thinking... now that it is cold out, its much worse... and the popping noise, its alot louder.... definately a miss... and doesn't do it as much when cold as when the car finally gets warmed up... thinking its my HEGO systemthe 02s and what not...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 AM
adam1993

your egr might be stuck open loosen it place tin from sodacan to block it off .if it open it will make miss and lean its a free test that has served me well in the past!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

EGR is gone already... i have it blocked off and i have a plug in simulator so my computer would stop throwing the EGR code.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

Figured i would give you all an update...

Today i took the ground strap from the firewall that was bolted to the back of my heads off... wire brushed it till the sonuvabitch shined! and did the same to the Orange HEGO ground wire.. and regrounded them to the intake, instead of hte head... and so far, it has solved 90% of the motors illnesses...

only one left is that the car still pops.

i did find that my hego terminals that plug to the 02 sensors were melted by my freakin Long Tubes... and hte wires were all destroyed...

Quick Reply: Miss Fire, HELP!