5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MAC Headers....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:07 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

flowmaster makes a complete 3 inch system for fox's.
If you go back and read again all the problems are with their headers. The rest of the exhaust components are pretty good I think. And to solve the clamp style exhaust, just weld it and be done with it.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

I've got a pair of Mac longtubes installed on my 95 GT. The reason I got them is because they were the only longtubes i could find at the time advertised to fit with an auto trans. Well, lets just say I got them in there but it was an absolute nightmare! Had to unbolt the Motor Mounts and jack the engine up as high as it would possibly go and it was still terrible. Getting all the bolts to start was kinda difficult but not impossible. The worst part was getting them in, took several hours of messing with it. Then, once we finally got them in the X-pipe was not quite wide enough to fit on the ends of the headers. Had to heat it up and bend it out slightly. Starter wants to rub on one of the tubes as well. Also, one of the O2 sensors mounting hole is positioned so that the back of the o2 sensor is wedged up against and pushed tight against the trans. (Fit auto trans my @$$!). None the less the difference in performance was amazing. I gained almost 2 tenths in the 1/4 and Im not exagerating.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
93LX5.0L5SpdConv
1st Gear Member

Thanks, but wouldn't 3" from the headers hurt my low-end torque? I just want to replace the stock with ceramic unequal shorties, I'm now thinking BBK, and get rid of the pypes stuff. Then maybe MAC the rest of the way.

How's the sound from the MAC mufflers?

The only thing about the pypes that I don't completely regret is the Violators. The straight through design has a good sound, but all the pypes SS stuff is rusting so fast I may as well replace everything at the same time. I was hoping getting all the compnents from one manufacturer would make for a cleaner, easier install.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

personally I'm not a huge fan of shorties. From my perspective I figure if ur gonna do it you may as well go all the way and put the longtubes tubes on. Im sure though, your prolly right about the low end toque stuff. From what I have researched most suggest Longtubes for the best performance though.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yes 3 inch will hurt you a little on the low side and is not needed but the choice is there.
mac's mufflers have a nice tone to them and can be loud. Look up mjr and look at his photobucket at his white hatch. He has them on his. I have a small video of mine at idle.http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...1081345-00.flv
Its not the best vid but hey. Just go on youtube and you can find a few vids of them.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 AM
87 T TOP GT302
2nd Gear Member

It's like politics.There are good and bad on both sides.Some people like mac some don't.Thats why you have more than one brand to chose from.I like the mac headers .I've got the 1 1/2 eq length ,getting ready to change to 1 5/8 tubes,on my 87 gt .The fit was is real good and Ilike the look of the equal length tubes. What I liked best was the tubes are individual at top and the price is very reasonable too.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Snakebite01

i just actually got done installing mac headers on my 92 gt with 3" collectors a spintech x-pipe and mac pro chamber dumped before the axles..

First, i removed my intake, throttle body, a/c hose, spark plugs, wires, a/c compressor power wire, and starter, along with all of the other exhaust that was on the car which is a given.. i must note ( i also did a smog delete so i removed all of my smog pipeing and plugged the back of the heads)

Second, i had to unbolt the motor mounts from the k member and lift the motor as far as i could get it out before hurting anything.

Third, I unbolted the headers and took them out with no problem.

Fourth, I unbolted the steering shaft and ordered a new one so i wasn't using my stock one.

Now for the installation of the headers,,

the drivers side has to be put in from underneath of the car and the passenger side has to go in from the top of the car..

Like everyone says!!! the headers do not line up for ****!! they are tough to get to work..

I like the headers for the performance and the sound i got out of it and the price is great!!!

If I had to do it all over again I would get bbk's or hooker.. BBK is still a great price and they look great and sound great...

OH ALSO A BIG THING,,,,, (THE STOCK STEERING SHAFT WILL HIT THE HEADER SO YOU WILL HAVE TO GET AN AFTERMARKET STEERING SHAFT OR PUT A BIG DENT IN YOUR HEADER) that's up to you though,, imo i wouldn't want to dent my brand new header that you just paid money for.. that's just me lolol

if i left any info that you need let me know and i can tell you