5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I need Auto Trans Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:37 PM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

Its a 97
Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

97 is a 4R70W, which is the newer model of the aode. pretty much the same tranny with a couple differences.

the brown fluid means it needs to be flushed / drained out.
the clutches wear against each other, the pump pumps fluid and makes it hot and they break the fluid down and it turns brown and has a little burnt smell then the next stage is black.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Does the fluid have a burnt smell?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:31 PM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

yeah it smells a little burnt but not much. Does this mean I have ruined the transmission? Also, can I just drop the transmission pan and change what ever fluid comes out of that or do I need to take to a garage and let them hook it up to that machine that changes it all out.

What would cause the transmission fluid to get burn like it did all of a sudden and just quit on me?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

they may not be related.
theres a TSB, well old one about the old fluid, merc 3 i think and using merc5 to cure slippage problems, but there wasnt whining or anything that went along with that.

brown isnt death, black is a rebuild soon lol
you can do either, i have used the machine at work, i *think* it cleans the converter fluid out. its about $160ish to get this tranny flush done i believe.
or you can pull the pan, then pull the trans and converter, and dump the converter fluid out and refill and put trans and converter back in car and fill it up with fluid. it takes 13qts to fill the trans from dry, and about 3 if i remember correctly for the converter alone. imo this is the best way to get all the fluid out.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 AM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

I talked to a guy at a garage who said the machine that flushing the transmission is a waste. He had bought one and didn't like it. He was an old man and said that he'd been working on cars for 40 years and he was telling me that there is a way to flush all the fluid out by dropping the pan and the just crank the car and let the engine run and that would pump the rest out. Is that true? If so, how would I do that because he didn't want to get into details about it.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

Anyone?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

It sounds like you may need more than a transmission flush you may need a tranny. You dont wanna pull the pan an start the car to flush it. You may want to take it to mechanic and see what they say.

Last edited by FORD TOUGH; 12-17-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

If I was to pull the pan and start the car to remove the fluid, how would that mess up the transmission? I ask because I know nothing when it comes to transmissions.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LyleStyle
If I was to pull the pan and start the car to remove the fluid, how would that mess up the transmission? I ask because I know nothing when it comes to transmissions.
If you do that you would not have any fluid in the trans and ruin it.
Pull the pan. Put a new filter in it. Put the pan back on. Put the fluid in. Pull a trans cooler line off the radiator, put a hos on the line and have someone start the car while you watch the fluid runs out. When clean fluid comes out shut it off and put the line on fill the trans. Be careful not to overfill the trans.

Quick Reply: I need Auto Trans Help