5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stroker engine build up

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

why dont i order this http://store.summitracing.com/partde...E&autoview=sku its that kit i was looking at earlier and then i just talk to my mic. and see if i can just buy some 225cc heads and some 2"(maby maby not) headers and a rebuild and gasket kit so that i can get the bearings and gaskets and all that small stuff i need... but if i do that id still need a NEW block and id have to find and good intake kit and im rilly hoping for fuel injection rather then carb... and a custom cam sounds good but how much $ will that be?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Keep your expectaions realistic and remember "high amounts of power for cheap" don't really go together. I wouldn't put so much importance in putting your buddies S-10 on the trailer and focus harder on building a strong relialbe and quick street car. Just about anyone can throw together a high power unreliable drag car. Like was said before you need to go down and buy you a few books on build ups and engine building. Think about what you are going to do with the car after the race with your buddy. It's going to end one two ways. You win or you lose. If you build a car that will last you win no matter what happens at the track because while you are out tearing up the steet he will be working on his stuff all the time. If it's just a one shot deal then throw a bunch of junk together and hit it with a big load of nitrous an be done with it. To me thats a big waste of money. Thats just my thoughts on it.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpkins_44
why dont i order this http://store.summitracing.com/partde...E&autoview=sku its that kit i was looking at earlier and then i just talk to my mic. and see if i can just buy some 225cc heads and some 2"(maby maby not) headers and a rebuild and gasket kit so that i can get the bearings and gaskets and all that small stuff i need... but if i do that id still need a NEW block and id have to find and good intake kit and im rilly hoping for fuel injection rather then carb... and a custom cam sounds good but how much $ will that be?
You are making the mistake so many young hot rodders make. You are trying to build what I call a "Bottom of the Page" engine. When I say bottom of the page it's because you are looking at the biggest stuff possible on the first build. Chances are what you are going to end up with is a 15,000 dollar engine that won't pull itself out of it's own way down low and won't hold together at high RPM. My suggestion for the inexperianced hot rodder who is going to spend around 8000 dollars on an engine is to buy a Ford Boss block based 347 and just throw it into the car. While only listed at 450hp it really puts out over 500. It has a good foundation to build on, has a nice set of heads and if you are smart enough to leave it alone you will still be smoking the tires off your car 50,000 miles down the road.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

hmmm ya i guess your kinda right... do you know where i can find that engine with some specs and pricing?