5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

preferred intake manifolds for my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

now because of the fact that my car was made before 1996 doesnt that mean i would need to have a chip burned for my computer?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Portmaster
If you want to keep the best overall power with the engine you have now I'd install a Trickflow Street heat. It makes better power than the Edelbrock Performer or Holley System Max. If you plan on upgrade to better heads and cam in the near future I'd move into the Edelbrock RPMII. In the "Right Now" The TF Street Heat is your best option. IMO

Be realistic about what you want to do. You can either impress your friends when you pop the hood or impress them while you leave them in the dust.
While I normally think your posts are spot on...I'm surprised to hear you say that the TF intake makes better power than the Systemax. There have been multiple tests done that show the Holley intake out flows the TF all the way across the board. They're pretty close in the lower RPM range, but up around 6K, the Holley made something like 28 more HP.

I believe the only contenders to consider these days are the Track Heat, the RPM II, and the Systemax II. Which IIRC all run within about 4 hp of each other.

Short version, I wouldn't bother with the Street Heat. Especially for the money they get for those, just because they say Trick Flow on them.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sidewayz6.0
While I normally think your posts are spot on...I'm surprised to hear you say that the TF intake makes better power than the Systemax. There have been multiple tests done that show the Holley intake out flows the TF all the way across the board. They're pretty close in the lower RPM range, but up around 6K, the Holley made something like 28 more HP.

I believe the only contenders to consider these days are the Track Heat, the RPM II, and the Systemax II. Which IIRC all run within about 4 hp of each other.

Short version, I wouldn't bother with the Street Heat. Especially for the money they get for those, just because they say Trick Flow on them.
In been my experiance that the Street Heat makes better overall power throughout the power band and not just top end power.I'm a big fan of the RPM II But then again I have been known to blow it out my behind at times. I have a desk drawer full of pencils with wore out erasers, lol
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 PM
1995mustang818
2nd Gear Member

all of you guys are wrong lol dont take this the wrong way the guy wants to go fast and cheap...do a junk yard build just like me

gt-40 heads get the heads redone valve job resurface etc
or
gt-40p's but you need different headers

gt-40 intake manifold

65 mm throttle body maybe even a 70mm for future upgrades

you all ready have a cold air and an x pipe just buy your self some nice shorty headers and called it a day after that you need to wake the car up by putting some gears in it and a nice set of mickey thompson drag radials torque converter if its an auto you will feel a nice kick in the pants
Old 12-17-2008, 11:47 PM
minnow81469
3rd Gear Member

Trickflow intakes are easy to install and it was my first upgrade do it yourself man dont take it to a shop
Old 12-18-2008, 11:48 AM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

for a mostly stock engine save for bolt ons..... id go with a cobra for reason being they are cheap and will give a nice increase in power...... if money isnt an issue id invest in a bbk ssi.... i had one on my fox car and as compared to a edlebrock, cobra, and trickflow on a mostly stock motor save for boltons it put down more power across the entire rpm band dyno proven... just my 2 cents...
Old 12-18-2008, 01:17 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Doesn't have anything to do with an intake...but since you're looking for quick cheap gains I'd start off by getting rid of your stock headers. IMO
Old 12-18-2008, 02:29 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

holley or trickflow track heat hands down
Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 AM
5.0 EFI MAN

Well all I can say is as with anything to do with performance parts, what else do you plan on doing? If changing the heads is a future plan or even turbo or supercharger then plan accordingly I read the holley sytemax allows good flow for turbo charged but I have yet to find a holleys lower intake that matches to stock heads. If you want flow then you have to free it all up. No point in putting big intake on if your heads can only flow so much. the trick flow track heat only produced big gains with a supercharger. If you dont care about looks I would go with an edelbrock or trick flow street heat and in my opinion Trick flow is a newer company for fuel injection not a aged carburetor performance company. Plus the edelbrock is butt ugly with a plate you can remove?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:34 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

i like the TF cause it sits low

Quick Reply: preferred intake manifolds for my car