5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Windsor JR 180cc heads...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by irish1
The windsor juniors I purchased were not good and world would not stand behind them, I wound up offloading them at a loss. When I say not good I mean the machine work was lousy, the incorrect valves were used and the springs I specified were not used. Isent them to a porter who did not want to work on them as to make them right would cost more then the heads did. I won't buy another world product anytime soon but maybe you will have better luck?

Matt
Who did you buy them from? I've always had superior service from them.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Tell me about the car. Rear gear ratio, transmission, (stall if automatic) if you intend to keep the power brakes, carbed of Fuel injected what kind of idle you want and is the bottom end of your engine stock or modified and the year of the block
I am planning a H/C/I swap in the near future and am just looking at various options. They would be going in the car in my sig, a virtually mint '93 mineral silver notch. It currently sits with 109,000kms on it. I bought it from my buddy who was in the process of doing a H/C/I on it when he stumbled across a 2000 C5 vert with H/C/I, full stainless Bassani exhaust, 3.73's and an S-trim meth injected with laptop tuner that he had to have. He bought the Stang stock from the original owner and completed the mods in my sig (except for the widening of the rims) himself at a Ford dealership where he's a parts manager. I'm just looking at other options of doing the full swap without it costing 5 grand or so all in. The motor is completely stock other than what's listed in my sig. The price I quoted is $439.00 per head. assembled and shipped. My goal isn't to have the meanest Fox in town, driveability is important along with the fact that I have to bolt the factory cats back on every two years for rigorous emission testing ( called "aircare") here in B.C. I just want something that would have the capability to run 12's at the track with a tire, although it will probably never see one. I'm looking for a "not so nice one" that I won't mind beating on for that kind of duty. I'd be happy with a 13.0 street car on street rubber with decent manners and driveabilty keeping the 3.55's for longer highway legs. It's dropped 1 1/2 inches now with Koni shocks, BBK springs with a very slight rake along with Suspension Tech castor camber plates. It handles well and a 4 wheel disc conversion (either Brembo or SVO etc) will come after whatever H/C/I I end up going with. That is all I really want for this car as of now. I hope this helps with any advice you may have for me. Thanks man...

Last edited by Baddog; 12-17-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:13 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Are these a used set of heads or do you have a source that will sell them new for that price? If you have a source that will also sell someone else a set at the price, will you share who they are?

Thanks and good luck with your project.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MBDiagMan
Are these a used set of heads or do you have a source that will sell them new for that price? If you have a source that will also sell someone else a set at the price, will you share who they are?

Thanks and good luck with your project.
Terribly sorry bro, I misread the pricing/specs when I was researching...the price for the ones's I'm interested in are $439.00 per head, assembled and shipped. Sorry for the confusion. *BUMP* for a response from Portmaster from my post 2 posts back :-) And Portmaster, please don't tell me my "dreaded hypereutectic pistons" will be a problem in my future plans :-(

Last edited by Baddog; 12-17-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
I am planning a H/C/I swap in the near future and am just looking at various options. They would be going in the car in my sig, a virtually mint '93 mineral silver notch. It currently sits with 109,000kms on it. I bought it from my buddy who was in the process of doing a H/C/I on it when he stumbled across a 2000 C5 vert with H/C/I, full stainless Bassani exhaust, 3.73's and an S-trim meth injected with laptop tuner that he had to have. He bought the Stang stock from the original owner and completed the mods in my sig (except for the widening of the rims) himself at a Ford dealership where he's a parts manager. I'm just looking at other options of doing the full swap without it costing 5 grand or so all in. The motor is completely stock other than what's listed in my sig. The price I quoted is $315.00 per head with all the parts required for the install, unassembled and delivered. My goal isn't to have the meanest Fox in town, driveability is important along with the fact that I have to bolt the factory cats back on every two years for rigorous emission testing ( called "aircare") here in B.C. I just want something that would have the capability to run 12's at the track with a tire, although it will probably never see one. I'm looking for a "not so nice one" that I won't mind beating on for that kind of duty. I'd be happy with a 13.0 street car on street rubber with decent manners and driveabilty keeping the 3.55's for longer highway legs. It's dropped 1 1/2 inches now with Koni shocks, BBK springs with a very slight rake along with Suspension Tech castor camber plates. It handles well and a 4 wheel disc conversion (either Brembo or SVO etc) will come after whatever H/C/I I end up going with. That is all I really want for this car as of now. I hope this helps with any advice you may have for me. Thanks man...
Here is a combo I worked of for you.

The Windsor Jr Heads 1.94/1.60 valves 58cc heads (what you have)
Trick Flow Street heat intake
Comp Cams XE264HR P/N 35-349-8

The cam will be easy on the valve springs and will have some real crisp performance with the 3:55s. With a bit over 375hp and 380lbft of torque(at the flywheel) it should get you some high 12's to low 13s depending on traction, driving ability. Thats based on your car weighing 3500 pounds with fuel, driver and launching a good drag radial. It will make for a real nice street driver that sounds almost stock but carries a good bit of extra punch. It's nothing exotic but you could head out cross country without worry, keep you fuel mileage and have gobs of low end torque to support those 3.55s. Peak hp power will come in around 5900-6000rpm The torque will start coming in hard around 1500 rpm and by 2000 rpm you will be over 300lbft and will still have ove 350lbft of torque when the HP peaks.

Don't worry about the Hyper pistons. For me if it's N/A that won't get sprayed or boosted I'd rather have them. I ran KBs In 700hp 468 Cubic in Chevys and never had a failure running 12 to 1.

Last edited by Portmaster; 12-17-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

That's awesome thanks man, but I was inquiring specifically about the 180cc heads and I don't have anything yet. I was also under the impression that my car weighs far less than 3500lbs, even with me (190lbs) and a full tank of 94. Isn't 3500 more in the S197 range? I don't have A/C, power lock actuators have been removed along with the spare tire and jack etc. I was told at Ford that it's in the range of 3100 with 1/2 a tank of 94 without me in it. 194's might be a problem with aircare but by 2013 I won't have to worry about it as it will qualify for classic status and be exempt. Then she'll get the real streetcar treatment, ***** to the walls...Thanks again :-)
Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

That's awesome thanks man, but I was inquiring specifically about the 180cc heads and I don't have anything yet. I was also under the impression that my car weighs far less than 3500lbs, even with me (190lbs) and a full tank of 94. Isn't 3500 more in the S197 range? I don't have A/C, power lock actuators have been removed along with the spare tire and jack etc. I was told at Ford that it's in the range of 3100 with 1/2 a tank of 94 without me in it. 194's might be a problem with aircare but by 2013 I won't have to worry about it as it will qualify for classic status and be exempt. Then she'll get the real streetcar treatment, ***** to the walls...Thanks again :-)
When I figure in the weight I err on the side of caution. I figure in a fully equipted car full of gas, a 200 pound driver, spare, jack, some tools and just normal stuff people carry. Because I don't know your car or your size I give pretty much a worse case senario. I also do that with HP and torque ratings except I back them up because I don't know the altitude or air density where you are. I'd much rather you that if you took my advice and ended up with a much quicker car than to take my advice and end up with a slower car. I give you realistic expectations of what to expect. If it's faster than I thought it would be (which is noramally the case) it makes me a happy camper. It's what always kept my customers coming back. When you give a man more than he expects he's a happy camper.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Sorry forgot to answer, I bought my heads though A&E before they were bought out.

Matt
Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

that much for jr's there is a good newish used set of sr's on the corral with new valves and dual springs and a stage 1 port and polish for 800 obo....

u can buy a better head for that kind of money go search there classifieds lots of stuff..
Old 12-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

The 180cc heads have 1.94 valves which is what portmaster meant.

Quick Reply: Windsor JR 180cc heads...