5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Front suspension! Need input!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Default Front suspension! Need input!

I am looking to buy struts springs and camber plates. Does anyone have any input on what i should buy? My front squeeks real bad, and i need to fix it.

Add links pls!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

If its that bad don't forget the bushings. If its a DD the camber plates may not give you the tire results you want but . with that said get camber plates with a nice adjustment or CASTER built in to them. That way you can crank up the caster and wont have to put too much camber .
Old 12-20-2008, 09:04 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by clintster77
If its that bad don't forget the bushings. If its a DD the camber plates may not give you the tire results you want but . with that said get camber plates with a nice adjustment or CASTER built in to them. That way you can crank up the caster and wont have to put too much camber .
What in the world are you talking about?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:18 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by clintster77
lolz!

dude seriously...wtf are you talkin about?

i think we have another ravenforbidden on the forum.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:36 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
lolz!

dude seriously...wtf are you talkin about?

i think we have another ravenforbidden on the forum.
What part don't you understand ? do you understand what caster actually dose? Ask questions first.
If he Runs a lot of camber on a daily driver the inside of the tires will wear out very fast . If its a race car run all the camber you want.
They sell camber/caster plate combos for a reason.
Just for example (a car with extreme exaggerated caster would titer totter between positive and negative Camber as you steer right to left . )
On a street car caster provides just a little more camber when turning either way but returns to neutral when driving straight . it is a minor camber change when only a little caster is added but it dose allow for a little less camber needed on the camber part of the adjustment . not only dose Negative camber happen on the out side tire when turning but the negative camber decreases on the inside tire during the same turn . Resulting in more grip available for the inside tire during a turn.
I am sorry if it is not very clear. I think this is a little better explanation than my first post . feel free to ask questions.

For a long time I did not under stand caster and how it could help a car corner better but think of it as a variable camber adjustment .

Last edited by clintster77; 12-20-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: wrong words
Old 12-20-2008, 10:50 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Caster does not affect the amount of camber there is on a car. Or visa verse. They are to separate angles.

Oh and, "a lot" of camber, I'm assuming you mean positive, will wear the outsides of the tire as the top of the tire leans outward causing the bottom of the tire to lean inwards.

Do you understand how an alignment is done?

Last edited by PRO50SC; 12-20-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:02 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Caster does not affect the amount of camber there is on a car. Or visa verse. They are to separate angles.
No not when straight but as you turn the wheel ( think of a chopper bike , that is the most extreme case of caster I can think of ) turn the wheel (handle bars) left or right and the camber on the front wheel changes. Think about both front tires on a car doing that at the same time with only a lot less caster. You are right about separate angles . Camber dose not effect the caster ,but caster dose effect the camber when turned (like a chopper bike)
Old 12-20-2008, 11:06 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

sorry.. I got my positive and negative camber mixed up in the previous posts Ill edit it accordingly .
Old 12-21-2008, 12:39 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

go with kyb struts. thry seem to be some of the best for these cars. you can get em on summit racings website.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:20 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by ponyponer
go with kyb struts. thry seem to be some of the best for these cars. you can get em on summit racings website.
i'd like to hear why.

Quick Reply: Front suspension! Need input!