5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I Think I've Burned Up My Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

well your friends an idiot on fox mustangs, :P they use a cable operated system, not a hydraulic power assisted system, and you woulndt be able to put it in gear since you need to control the friction zone, if your in gear and the car doesnt move without stalling, you're not in gear, sounds like a snapped clutch cable
Old 12-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Sippix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
Here is what you need if you plan on racing the car. I highly recommend the steel flywheel and blowproof belloushing. At high rpms you clutch or flywheel ca explode. Some people have lost their toes plus their car was cut in half.
clutch http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail
Flywheel -http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.
Flywheel bolts-http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a
Pressure Plate bolts-http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a
Bellhousing-http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&
Rear main seal-http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FPP-
Alignment dowles- http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/dowels.html
I so badly wish I had that kind of money, right now. I'd love to go big and do it up under my sudden plight, but I've got empty pockets. I just bought the car, bought an engagement ring, Christmas presants and all the legal fees that I mentioned in the beginning of this thread. I seriously almost don't have enough to make rent + utils this month. I will, however, bookmark all your suggestions. Man, December is hard on the pocket book. lol
Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sippix
I didn't get home until after dark, and I can't find a damn flashlight anywhere. I was able to check for oil/fluid leaks under the car and, to my delight, there are none.

However, for every bit of good news comes bad news. I went to go do my road test, but the clutch is 100% non-responsive. I put her into reverse, released the clutch pedal and gave her gas - Nothing happens. The engine revs up the RPM's, but there is no movement of the vehicle what-so-ever. I tried several times just to make sure I had it in gear, and I do. I can feel it "lock" into place. But there is absolutely no response from the clutch.

I called everyone that's ever said they knew anything about cars. One of my buddies told me that it sounded like I lost all my hydraulic fluid, and that's why the clutch is not engaging, because there's nothing to put pressure against the plates? He also said that's where all that smoke came from, is the burning of the hydraulic fluid? Is this a possibilty? If so, where would I even check the hydraulic fluid level at? Is this the same resevoire as the brake fluid?

I have no idea, and I can't try FivePointOhh's suggestions for inspection until I find a friggin' flashlight.

Please advise...
You could have a broken clutch cable, but if have seen some clutches so bad that they will barely pull the vehicle. If your clutch cable is broken and you start the car in gear the car would move.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Sippix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
well your friends an idiot on fox mustangs, :P they use a cable operated system, not a hydraulic power assisted system, and you woulndt be able to put it in gear since you need to control the friction zone, if your in gear and the car doesnt move without stalling, you're not in gear, sounds like a snapped clutch cable
Wait...I have an SN95. She's a '94 GT. Speaking of which...I'm going to run out to the car to make sure that what I'm feeling is the shifter moving into gear, or if I'm feeling what I want to feel in hopes of pretending it will all go away. lol
Old 12-22-2008, 08:12 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Wait...I have an SN95. She's a '94 GT. Speaking of which...I'm going to run out to the car to make sure that what I'm feeling is the shifter moving into gear, or if I'm feeling what I want to feel in hopes of pretending it will all go away. lol
same advice
Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Sippix
1st Gear Member

Okay...I'm throwing out that guy's advice about the hydraulic assist. I wonder if he thought I was refering to a S197? No idea...in any case, that option is right out.

Update: I did just get the car into gear and she did move, albiet VERY slowly at high RPM's. Reverse is nearly perfect, but then again, I don't try to break traction while moving in the wrong direction - Just enough to get her rolling. First gear is still giving me the trouble, but no smoke or fireworks. I'll road test her tomorrow, all the way to the mechanic. It looks like I will be replacing the clutch assembly and possibly the flywheel, at this point. I want to wait until I've checked all the things FivePointOhh mentioned in his previous post before I jump to the conclusion that I absolutely must dump hundreds into the repairs.

Well, I'm off for dinner. I'll check back on the thread later, and I'll give any updates tomorrow. Good thing you guys are here, or I'd be spitting fire and tearing off heads. Burninating the countryside.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRR!!!!

did you try pulling up on the clutch pedal?

LUK what you find.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Sippix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRR!!!!

did you try pulling up on the clutch pedal?

LUK what you find.
Oh! I sure did! And that was the last time I went out to try to get the car to move. When I pulled it back, I did hear a very distinct click. Then I pressed on the clutch to start the vehicle and heard a click twice as loud. That's when I was able to get the car moving! Gah! I'm such a ditz, I forgot completely about that!

Story so far: Wouldn't move after work, but would shift into gear. Went out later and pulled up on the clutch pedal. Started her up and got her to move.

That's about the short of it. Oh, and when I pressed on the clutch pedal with my foot, after lifting it to click with my hand, it made a reasonably loud popping noise. I'd say at least twice as loud as the click it made when I pulled it with my hand. Hope that helps. =)
Old 12-22-2008, 10:19 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Oh! I sure did! And that was the last time I went out to try to get the car to move. When I pulled it back, I did hear a very distinct click. Then I pressed on the clutch to start the vehicle and heard a click twice as loud. That's when I was able to get the car moving! Gah! I'm such a ditz, I forgot completely about that!

Story so far: Wouldn't move after work, but would shift into gear. Went out later and pulled up on the clutch pedal. Started her up and got her to move.

That's about the short of it. Oh, and when I pressed on the clutch pedal with my foot, after lifting it to click with my hand, it made a reasonably loud popping noise. I'd say at least twice as loud as the click it made when I pulled it with my hand. Hope that helps. =)
Pulling back on the cable may have caused it to come un hooked
Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

he said the car moved after he pulled up on the clutch pedal as to where it wouldnt move before he did.

sippix, do you know how many miles or how old the clutch is?

Quick Reply: I Think I've Burned Up My Clutch