5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Swapping a V6 for a 5.0 in a 95'

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Stangking113

Default Swapping a V6 for a 5.0 in a 95'

I've got a 1995 3.8L mustang thats gotten pretty boring. I've got a guy who has a 5.0 that he built but never ended up using. he said seeming he's a "chevy man" he's give me it free seeming I'm 18 and mustang crazy. I also told him I'd beat his 69' camaro running with a 350 smallblock. so rambling out of the way. I need help in what I need for that year body style. like if the GT suspension, like springs etc. will fit with this body. same with drive train. I'm sure the engine will fit in it seeming 95 was the last year of the 5.0 (until hopefully 2010) also saleen put a 351 in this body style. I need all the help I can get so i can get a list together. this engine is also carb'd I havent seen it yet but he doesnt discriminate with engines. So if any one can help me out, right now im focusing on suspension and drive train. I'd like it to be have lowering springs in it suspension wise and I'd like a hurst billet shifter. I dont know everything so this is why I'm asking around for some help. So I'm done for now, thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:29 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Since you are going carbed it will be a little bit easier. You will need a flywheel, clutch kit, transmission, and rear end. As far a suspension the v6 and gt spring are interchangeable.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Stangking113

Wink

sweet, so gt lowering springs will be fine to right? and any recomendations on a good gear ratio for a 300hp 302 to smoke some ricers? and what kind of tranny. I've heard T5 but is there anything better or that i could put a hurst short throw in, along with the hurst billett shifter? i really want that haha. now besides springs is there anything else that would need to be changed suspension wise?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

a T-5 5 speed out of a 94-95 mustang would be good for a mild engine. I am going to go with 4.10 gears in my car. Alot of people run 3.73. You don't have to change the springs.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Stangking113

ok so the V6 suspension is the same for the GT's? and ive heard T-45 too is there any difference between these? The engine i guess might have in the ball park of 300-350HP the stock trannys will handle this power? i have a buddy who once told me go 4.10s are they a little quicker? and im going to asume the stock V6 transmission mount is the same for the GTs too. and i should have no worrys axle wise either i'll say. and last question for drivetrain right now, do you know if a hurst short throw will fit to a T5? and also if you can have the billett shifter with it? thats pretty much answered my suspension questions i think. now engine stuff haha. I'm sorry for all of the questions, like i said i dont know a super amount of stuff, so my bad for all of the questions. now engine wise going carbed is the anything major i'll need. like a new computer? I'll wait for now on anything else. but thatnks for all the help this is helping me out greatly.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangking113
ok so the V6 suspension is the same for the GT's? and ive heard T-45 too is there any difference between these? The engine i guess might have in the ball park of 300-350HP the stock trannys will handle this power? i have a buddy who once told me go 4.10s are they a little quicker? and im going to asume the stock V6 transmission mount is the same for the GTs too. and i should have no worrys axle wise either i'll say. and last question for drivetrain right now, do you know if a hurst short throw will fit to a T5? and also if you can have the billett shifter with it? thats pretty much answered my suspension questions i think. now engine stuff haha. I'm sorry for all of the questions, like i said i dont know a super amount of stuff, so my bad for all of the questions. now engine wise going carbed is the anything major i'll need. like a new computer? I'll wait for now on anything else. but thatnks for all the help this is helping me out greatly.
I dont know if the springs are the same or not but, you can buy aftermarket spring if thats what you are asking. The t-5 tranny is good to 300lbft of torque. There are tons of shifters out there for them. Since your car was V6 it came with a 7.5 rear. It will be good enough for you to get the car moving but if you want to go with 4.10 gears you should find a 8.8 rear for the car. The 8.8 is what the V8 mustang came with. If you are going carbed you will not need a computer. I do recommend electronic ignition though. You will probably need a new crossmemeber for the trans to run dual exhaust. That should come with a tranny when you buy it. You will also need a electric fan controller. You will also need motor mounts. It would probably be best to buy them new. You will need radiator hose too and off course a complete exhaust system. Just ask if you have any more questions.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Stangking113

ok i found steeda lowering springs on americanmuscle.com that fit both the V6 and GT. now with the rear end do i need new splines too? or just where the rear gears are so i can fit 4.10s in it? or would i be better off getting a GT rear end like all of it and putting that in? This is the Exhaust I'd like http://www.americanmuscle.com/slpexhaust1.html now i know i'll need headers. did they come with shorties or long tube? i really dont want to have them not match up to that. I think I also need a GT mid pipe. how much of a hole do you think i'd be digging myself into with this project? and finacially too. I mean the engine was offered to me so i mean thats a big money saver, and this is why im trying to start it now to have it done by april or may. also a little question, what about the speedometer and tach. will those hook up to the t5 and adapt? and also do you think the 96 gt would have the same gauge panel setup? i dont see why not seeming they are the same car just one goes to 150 this is what i want to get for new gauges http://www.americanmuscle.com/simco-...-96-98-gt.html
Old 01-03-2009, 10:11 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

ok i found steeda lowering springs on americanmuscle.com that fit both the V6 and GT. now with the rear end do i need new splines too? or just where the rear gears are so i can fit 4.10s in it? or would i be better off getting a GT rear end like all of it and putting that in? This is the Exhaust I'd like http://www.americanmuscle.com/slpexhaust1.html now i know i'll need headers. did they come with shorties or long tube? i really dont want to have them not match up to that. I think I also need a GT mid pipe. how much of a hole do you think i'd be digging myself into with this project? and finacially too. I mean the engine was offered to me so i mean thats a big money saver, and this is why im trying to start it now to have it done by april or may. also a little question, what about the speedometer and tach. will those hook up to the t5 and adapt? and also do you think the 96 gt would have the same gauge panel setup? i dont see why not seeming they are the same car just one goes to 150 this is what i want to get for new gauges http://www.americanmuscle.com/simco-...-96-98-gt.html
Its going to take a fair amount of money to do this swap. You will be best off getting a GT rear end because they are stronger. In my opinion it would be a was off money to put 4.10 in a 7.5 rear. The 7.5 rear in your car is a open rear (It will only spin 1 tire) the 8.8 in the mustang are a Limited slip differential and will spin both of the rear tires. The GT's came with shorty headers. If you are on a budget you may find the stock headers on craigslist then you can replace them when you get the money. You will also need the GT mid pipe. Im not sure what the difference is in the gauge cluster from a 96-98. Your speedo should work but the tach will be off. Latemodel Restoration has alot of mustang parts and summit racing is also a good place to deal with. Check your local craigslist and you may find a rear and a tranny and some other parts for your build.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Stangking113

So when you mean "rear end" you mean everything in between the wheels right? and the mounts are probobly the same too for the rear ends. yeah i was thinking craigs list and calling some junk yards that might have GOOD trannys or rear ends. I have around $4,000 for this build maybe a little more thats why i figure i should be able to cover everything seeming the motor is brand new and free. I'm most worried about the rear, ive put in trannys before so i feel comfortable with that but both of em scare me a little money wise. Now ive noticed some people talking about 31' splines? do you know what the GTs have stock? I've notice with my back wheels which are probobly 8.5 or 9 inch wide (what ever are stock) that they seem to look about 3-4inches in the rear wheel well and it looks semi dumb im planning on putting 18-10 on them im pretty sure there would be no clearance problems. i just was wondering if you knew if i could go with a deeper wheel and get it to look a little more even with the body. I'd assume too that the drive shaft is the same for the 6's and gts so there should be no clearance probs there. um hmm....thinking of something else the only headers i could find were "shorteys" is that what the gts had? when i knew i was going to need a stock GT mid pipe for the SLP exhaust but i didnt know if the mid pipe would hook up to those shorty headers i found http://www.americanmuscle.com/jba-sh...ders-9495.html it says cat forward, so does that mean i need no mid pipe? and thats all i can think of for right now. everyday i add a little to my list of stuff i need so this is why im trying to cover as much as i can. i also should know about that engine this week. the guy came over this weekend because im friends with his son and he told me while he was here that he was going to call his buddy who has the engine so hopefully i can get it with in the next two weeks. so thanks again and i'll be back to check this before i go to work tonight.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

So when you mean "rear end" you mean everything in between the wheels right? and the mounts are probobly the same too for the rear ends. yeah i was thinking craigs list and calling some junk yards that might have GOOD trannys or rear ends. I have around $4,000 for this build maybe a little more thats why i figure i should be able to cover everything seeming the motor is brand new and free. I'm most worried about the rear, ive put in trannys before so i feel comfortable with that but both of em scare me a little money wise. Now ive noticed some people talking about 31' splines? do you know what the GTs have stock? I've notice with my back wheels which are probobly 8.5 or 9 inch wide (what ever are stock) that they seem to look about 3-4inches in the rear wheel well and it looks semi dumb im planning on putting 18-10 on them im pretty sure there would be no clearance problems. i just was wondering if you knew if i could go with a deeper wheel and get it to look a little more even with the body. I'd assume too that the drive shaft is the same for the 6's and gts so there should be no clearance probs there. um hmm....thinking of something else the only headers i could find were "shorteys" is that what the gts had? when i knew i was going to need a stock GT mid pipe for the SLP exhaust but i didnt know if the mid pipe would hook up to those shorty headers i found http://www.americanmuscle.com/jba-sh...ders-9495.html it says cat forward, so does that mean i need no mid pipe? and thats all i can think of for right now. everyday i add a little to my list of stuff i need so this is why im trying to cover as much as i can. i also should know about that engine this week. the guy came over this weekend because im friends with his son and he told me while he was here that he was going to call his buddy who has the engine so hopefully i can get it with in the next two weeks. so thanks again and i'll be back to check this before i go to work tonight.
If you have $4000 to spend on this build you would be best off to sell your car and buy a GT.

Quick Reply: Swapping a V6 for a 5.0 in a 95'