5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Remote unlocks doors, doesn't deactivate alarm w/o repeated presses

Old 01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
peagle

Arrow Remote unlocks doors, doesn't deactivate alarm w/o repeated presses

Subject says it all really, had this problem for a while. '95 GT convertible, stock keyless entry/alarm.

When I hit unlock the doors immediately unlock, however unless the horn sounds the car is still demobilized. I have to hit unlock anywhere from 2 to 50 more times till the horn sounds and the car can be started. (Otherwise nothing happens when you turn the ignition).

I'm using replacement remote keys which I haven't had a problem with before, and have tried retraining them to the car (crossing the connector in the trunk to do so). This doesn't solve the issue, although they continue to work fine as far as unlocking/locking the car.

I've had this problem twice in the cars life, and it seems to occur after work has been done on the car (probably with the battery disconnected for an amount of time). I don't recall clearly how it stopped the first time, I think Ford "reset" the alarm for whatever that is worth, but I don't have easy access to a dealership anymore.

Any thoughts much appreciated
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

have you tried a new battery? also when you have it apart see if that button is dirty and not making contact. With one side working perfectly and the other hit-or-miss I would say that it sounds like the remote is dying but you might be able to clean out the switch contacts.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
peagle

Originally Posted by ttocs
have you tried a new battery? also when you have it apart see if that button is dirty and not making contact. With one side working perfectly and the other hit-or-miss I would say that it sounds like the remote is dying but you might be able to clean out the switch contacts.
I have two remotes, both are new and suffer the same issue. Not sure what you mean about one side working, is there a separate contact for the alarm and the unlock transmitter within the same button?

(p.s. To mods, apologies for the double post, I could not see an option to delete my other one).