5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Im losing patience!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:52 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Just asking...but how do you know the cap and wires are good? Whether you think its the fuel filter or not it would be a good idea to change it anyway.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kay15ace
I drive a 95 GT and this problem is really getting on my nerves, then again what problem doesn't. When I am cruising on the road or on the interstate my car boggles/bucks while this is happening the tachometer will jump with it, it has gotten to the point where sometimes it might even backfire. I have replaced the TPS and the Ignition Coil because of this and it doesn't do it as much as it used to but it's still doing it. This will happen once every three days or three times in one day could it be the magnetic pickup in the distributor?
This information might be of help........
Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM
kay15ace

Originally Posted by WhiteWindsor
Just asking...but how do you know the cap and wires are good? Whether you think its the fuel filter or not it would be a good idea to change it anyway.
Well technically I don't know 100% that the cap and wires are good. The cap is an MSD cap and the only it could be bad is if there is a hairline crack in it or if it is old it has been on my car for awhile from what I know because of the previous owners I've talked to. As for the plugs they are Ford Racing 9mm plugs and I don't know how long they have been on my car.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 PM
kay15ace

Originally Posted by Joel5.0
This information might be of help........
Pretty scary, but mine isn't as sever as that one it just does it when I cruise. no lights come on so I haven't been able to check for codes and my car hasn't stalled because of this.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 PM
kay15ace

Oh yeah I forgot I also replaced the TFI module back when I first got my car which was last May.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:24 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

If you didnt change the cap rotor and wires but a previous owner "said" they did. Than I would change em my self. a previous powner can say that they put new stuff on but they may have just cleaned it all up to look newer just to sell it and not to have to put a dime in it. I'd also change the plugs and the fuel filter If I were you.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
kay15ace

Originally Posted by ewgoetz
If you didnt change the cap rotor and wires but a previous owner "said" they did. Than I would change em my self. a previous powner can say that they put new stuff on but they may have just cleaned it all up to look newer just to sell it and not to have to put a dime in it. I'd also change the plugs and the fuel filter If I were you.
Checked the plugs a week ago they are in good shape. I'll look into the fuel filter.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM
kay15ace

I replaced the distributor and stator about 3 weeks ago and my car straightened up until this past weekend and it started doing the sputtering/hesitation again here are some observations I made about the problem if it helps....

1. I don't know if it was coincidental or not but I think the problem reoccured the moment I hit a bump going about 45 mph. It wasn't a major bump it was kind of similar to the bump you get when you go over railroad tracks or if you go over a manhole thats not even with the road.

2. Coil Wire had a little corrosion. So me and my friend cleaned it.

3. Distributor Cap was slightly loose.

4. When I tried to get a parts store to scan for codes, the scanner and computer could not establish a communication. The scanner was working because the guy went to a random truck and scanned for codes and the scanner worked.

Does anybody have any inputs...
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kay15ace
I replaced the distributor and stator about 3 weeks ago and my car straightened up until this past weekend and it started doing the sputtering/hesitation again here are some observations I made about the problem if it helps....

1. I don't know if it was coincidental or not but I think the problem reoccured the moment I hit a bump going about 45 mph. It wasn't a major bump it was kind of similar to the bump you get when you go over railroad tracks or if you go over a manhole thats not even with the road.

2. Coil Wire had a little corrosion. So me and my friend cleaned it.

3. Distributor Cap was slightly loose.

4. When I tried to get a parts store to scan for codes, the scanner and computer could not establish a communication. The scanner was working because the guy went to a random truck and scanned for codes and the scanner worked.

Does anybody have any inputs...
I just had the same crap happen to me over the past week. At first, it was just a single stutter as I was accelerating through second gear. It got progressively worse all week, and would do it seemingly randomly. Yesterday, it was happening like 5 times in each gear, and I just bit the bullet and went to discount auto. I got cap, rotor, plugs, wires and a fuel filter. While i was switching out my plugs, one of the wires popped right off of the plug, without any struggle. I think that was my culprit, a loose wire on one of the plugs. Don't ask me how it happened.

As a side note, my cap and rotor I thought were good, and was just changing them because I was doing the other things, but it was good that I did. The center wire terminal was corroded and the contacts on the inside of the cap, and on the rotor all looked crappy. The fuel filter was absolutely disgusting. I blew a whole load of nasty sludge out of it, and the difference blowing through the old and the new one was amazing.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
kay15ace

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
I just had the same crap happen to me over the past week. At first, it was just a single stutter as I was accelerating through second gear. It got progressively worse all week, and would do it seemingly randomly. Yesterday, it was happening like 5 times in each gear, and I just bit the bullet and went to discount auto. I got cap, rotor, plugs, wires and a fuel filter. While i was switching out my plugs, one of the wires popped right off of the plug, without any struggle. I think that was my culprit, a loose wire on one of the plugs. Don't ask me how it happened.

As a side note, my cap and rotor I thought were good, and was just changing them because I was doing the other things, but it was good that I did. The center wire terminal was corroded and the contacts on the inside of the cap, and on the rotor all looked crappy. The fuel filter was absolutely disgusting. I blew a whole load of nasty sludge out of it, and the difference blowing through the old and the new one was amazing.
Should I be worried about my ECU not being able to communicate with the scanner? Is that symptom an indication that my ECU is bad?

Quick Reply: Im losing patience!!!