5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cam Thrust Plate Breakage

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Red face Cam Thrust Plate Breakage

So anyone know how you can break the thrust plate? I pulled my oil pan off to check the bearings while I have my motor out and I find a small bolt and an ear to something. Well I search around and think about it and see everything on my oil pump is intact so I'm thinking to myself there is only one other thing that is that small that can fall in here. The only thing that got me is that all the ones I have seen use a allen head (torx maybe I don't remember exactly) bolt to hold it down. Well I pull my timing cover off and I see the little plate just rocking back and forth behind the cam gear.

Good thing I decided to tear into the motor a little huh .

What problems could have arised from the thrust plate not being held down? More wear on the cam than normal probably?

No I didn't install this, I havn't messed with anything past the timing chain on this motor before now. Just the top end of it.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

The only way I know you could break a thrust plate would be for the bolts to be loose. Without a thrust plate it will allow the cam to walk. It will probably rub the block and timing chain cover. You will probably want to get a new timing chain too. Yes there would be more wear on the cam.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

One of the bolts probably backed out and was knocked off my the timing chain and cam gear. It probably didn't hurt anything, unless you noticed a problem with it before you tore it down. Any problems with oil pressure? You could always pull the cam and inspect the bearings. Shouldn't take but a few minutes.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Timing chain was tight,(still old and will be replaced), I had no problems before tearing it down. It looks like the one bolt I found backed out and tooth a couple of threads with it. Do some motors use hex head bolts on the plate? I just have to replace the plate right now. I may pull the cam but IDK if I want to yet. I am gonna replace it after Iraq so I might as well.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I have hex head bolts on mine. It's an 86 block and I can remember my old 83 block out of my F-150 had hex head bolts also.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Timing chain was tight,(still old and will be replaced), I had no problems before tearing it down. It looks like the one bolt I found backed out and tooth a couple of threads with it. Do some motors use hex head bolts on the plate? I just have to replace the plate right now. I may pull the cam but IDK if I want to yet. I am gonna replace it after Iraq so I might as well.
I thought the timing chain may have rubbed the block and timing chain cover and damaged it. Yes the thrust plates use hex bolts.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

sounds like someone was in the engine before you and toyed around with some stuff
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well yea, its a 306 with speed pro hyper pistons and a cam, I just got the grind number off the cam so I finally get to find out what it is.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I normally have installed those bolts with a little loctite
Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Well yea, its a 306 with speed pro hyper pistons and a cam, I just got the grind number off the cam so I finally get to find out what it is.
haha dont mind me im a little off my rocker today, i forgot about that

Quick Reply: Cam Thrust Plate Breakage