5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gear Drives

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Modular_Madness96
First of all they sound no different than a healthy blower,and second thats not true about them only lasting 50,000 miles (just to clear that up since thats what you have been told)

Are you saying a blower whine is super annoying?Have you ever heard a beefy V8 with say a 6-71?Maybe an 8-71?Sound annoying?Theyre no different than the gear drive.
Have you ever driven a car with a 8-71 blower for 500 miles? As cool as it sounds, gas stops every 100 miles become a welcome thing.

Bottom line is that gear drives are for posers in street cars. They offer no advantage over a well built chain and gear set up. If you want maximum timing accuacy a Belt drive is the best choice. Still for the street a good roller chain is the best bet. If you freshen up you engine every few years you just install a new chain. I've pulled chains off that had 30'000 miles and still felt new with no slack. A gear drive offers about as much of a performance gain as a APC sticker on a Honda.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Sippix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
A gear drive offers about as much of a performance gain as a APC sticker on a Honda.
stikurz maek ur car go faaaaaaaaaasttttt!!!!!111one
Old 01-22-2009, 12:57 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yes they do! Otherwise the funny cars wouldn't have so many of them . Or how about the street cars that have the whole hatch window covered. Thats EXTREME HORSE POWER!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
ViperblueGT

I have the edelbrock accudrive on mine now its a little quieter than the other ones but i like it cause it puts off a little supercharer noise and i have heard it gives you just a couple extra horses but i have yet to test that out
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Modular_Madness96
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Have you ever driven a car with a 8-71 blower for 500 miles? As cool as it sounds, gas stops every 100 miles become a welcome thing.

Bottom line is that gear drives are for posers in street cars. They offer no advantage over a well built chain and gear set up. If you want maximum timing accuacy a Belt drive is the best choice. Still for the street a good roller chain is the best bet. If you freshen up you engine every few years you just install a new chain. I've pulled chains off that had 30'000 miles and still felt new with no slack. A gear drive offers about as much of a performance gain as a APC sticker on a Honda.

How did we go from reliability and sound to gas mileage?

As for this entire debate it all comes down to taste.I made no claims about performance gains i stated what their intentions were such as accurate timing over a chain setup and i gave my opinion i like the sound of them if you dont and you have an issue with the fact i do all i can say is BLOW ME!

I like them and i run them with no issues.Theyve been around for years and if they werent reliable none of the old school hot rodders would use them.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Modular_Madness96
How did we go from reliability and sound to gas mileage?

As for this entire debate it all comes down to taste.I made no claims about performance gains i stated what their intentions were such as accurate timing over a chain setup and i gave my opinion i like the sound of them if you dont and you have an issue with the fact i do all i can say is BLOW ME!

I like them and i run them with no issues.Theyve been around for years and if they werent reliable none of the old school hot rodders would use them.
I didn't mention anything about gas mileage. Although a Big Block with a 871 and a pair of 750 Dp Holley carbs won't knock off but about 6 mpg if you drive really gently. They are no more accurate than a good true roller chain. If you like playing make believe thats fine and dandy. Not many old school hot rodders like them because they know they offer nothing but noise and we know better. I don't have an issue with you or anyone else using a gear drive but for me it's like putting wheelie bars on a 14 second car.

As far as me blowing you I'm not really into all that but if guy on guy is your thing once again that may be your preferance. I am flattered you think of me that way and while I must resist such a great offer I'm just not built for the Job. Maybe you should try out a rest area and find that right person. I'm not a judge of other people and if you want the love a good man thats up to you. Not thats theres anything wrong with that.

Last edited by Portmaster; 01-23-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

^^^^ That is funny right there.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

I will agree that gear drives are hard on valvetrain and can cause premature bearing failure. They are a no no unless you have an all out race car. Look just sit here and think where is all the noise coming from and what in that set up is making the noise. Stright cut gears should never be used in a timing set up. This is just my 2 cents take it or leave it.